Gas meter being moved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son's gas meter is being moved from under the stairs to outside the house. (All the houses where he lives are being done.) This means the meter will be about 20 to 25ft from its original position.

If the governor is moved to the same place, this will mean that the distance from governor to boiler and cooker will have increased by the same amount (ignoring bends). There is therefore a possibility that the gas pressure at the boiler and cooker will be lower than it should be.

Does anyone know if the governor is moved? If it is, who is responsible if the pressure is no longer correct? Should the contractors check the pressure and ensure that they install the correct size pipe from new governor location to existing governor location?

Sponsored Links
The governor will certainly be moved and it will be their responsibilty to ensure that the reinstated pipework is the correct size.

Ray's answer is rather simplestic.

It is quite possible that even with 28mm pipe there will be inadequate pressure at the appliances! Some of the existing pipework may need upgrading!

Ideally you need an RGI to check the working pressures before and after the work is done. But this will cost!

Not all RGIs will know what needs to be done as, even though this is very basic, its surprising just how unsure of the basics many are!

Tony

It is D Hailsham we're answering Tony, he'll probably size the pipe for them. Now that he knows that they're responsible. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Maybe you could explain this: ;)

When my son had a Baxi Bermuda back boiler the Annual Gas Safety Certificate showed the operating pressure of the boiler. The boiler was replaced by a Remeha OV boiler two and a half years ago and, since then, the Certificate no longer shows the operating pressure, just the Heat Input.

Is this correct and why the change? The Boiler Manual has info about operating pressure (20-25mB) and states that it should be greater than 17mB at full load. So why is this not checked?

It is quite possible that even with 28mm pipe there will be inadequate pressure at the appliances! Some of the existing pipework may need upgrading!
Who pays for this?

Ideally you need an RGI to check the working pressures before and after the work is done. But this will cost!
I would have thought that the company who moves the meter is responsible for checking the pressure before the work is done and calculating the correct pipe size to install.

Surely they have a duty of care to ensure that you are not left in a worse position after the work has been done than you were beforehand.

sooey said:
It is D Hailsham we're answering Tony, he'll probably size the pipe for them. Now that he knows that they're responsible.
Don't tempt me! :LOL:

There are two problems doing that:

1. Most of the pipework from existing governor to boiler and gas cooker are under a concrete floor, so we don't know the route or pipe size.

2. The gas cooker is unknown make/model. so the output is unknown.

DH, re HI or BP (am i talking in code here??????)
the forms changed a few years ago as some appliances cant have BP measured, so you gas rate to get HI,
just a ball park for the cooker as info is unknown, but if you gas rate it you will get the input (the prob with this is you dont know if it is correct or not but it is a guide) cooker data plates are a law unto themselves i have found them in various places maybe a wee investigation required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back