Gas Meter Fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was just looking at my gas meter and noticed the right hand side appears to be hanging loose.

Can you tell me:-
- is anything wrong with this picture?
- what is needed to correct it (if not correct already)
- whose responsibility is it? (mine?)

A few months ago I had a new boiler fitted in the loft and the plumbers had to change the gas supply to the boiler from 22mm to 28mm coper pipe.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thousands like it, it will be ok . But it should have a little adaptor bracket on it that goes into the groove on the fitting.

You could phone NG to come out and put one on

The Meter Union is the wrong size(it should be 1"" x28mm) & not fitted into the slot correctly, this is an AR fault as the meter is only supported by the pipe work above. Whoever fitted the should be called back to sort it out.

You see it a lot, increased pipe size & the meter union is too small!!.... :rolleyes:
That's the problem with a highly regulated industry polluted with course cowboys & chancers.

Sponsored Links
Yes can see that, so what would it need for 35mm ?

But it only needs 28mm, well, according to the photo anyway!!

Last time we needed a 35mm gas supply on a domestic install we changed the U6 for a bigger meter, if I recall correctly? That reminds me; I must renew my ACOPS gas ticket.

Perhaps the concept of a 'bottleneck' meter union is lost on you?

The union is not the wrong size it is an old style meter bracket with a new style meter outlet and needs a little bracket dead simple

Yes can see that, so what would it need for 35mm ?

But it only needs 28mm, well, according to the photo anyway!!

Last time we needed a 35mm gas supply on a domestic install we changed the U6 for a bigger meter, if I recall correctly? That reminds me; I must renew my ACOPS gas ticket.

Perhaps the concept of a 'bottleneck' meter union is lost on you?

The point I'm making is if there is less than the allowed pressure drop across the pipework then there is no need for a 1" meter union

Surely you didn't fit a u16 just because you needed 35mm pipework with a demand of less than 6m3

Didn't someone just mention the industry being full of cowboys & chancers !!!!

AND ? a 28mm / outlet is still the same size at the grove that fits into the bracket as the one that has been used and would still need need the little bracket that should have been fitted

28mm outlet still have the same internal bore as 22mm outlets and cost around 3 or 4 times the price of just using a 22 to 28 adaptor so ts completly pointless buying and using them in most circumstances outside of a meter box

You wouldn't use a grooved union in this instance though, standard union straight onto the 28 pipe.

WTF are you on about the old meter outlets designed for that old meter bracket in the picture are no longer avialable to NG /transco hence why they use an adaptor bracket or fit a new style wall bracket completely

WTF are you on about the old meter outlets designed for that old meter bracket in the picture are no longer avialable to NG /transco hence why they use an adaptor bracket or fit a new style wall bracket completely

Well, the new build I was working on today had the same bracket as the one shown in the photo, so you're misinformed mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back