Gas Safe

• Thread starter Johnmelad502
  • Start date
J

Johnmelad502

When you know of a cowboy gas fitter who has done work but is not registered, who do you report him or the firm to?

Sponsored Links
And when you see someone drop a crisp packet in the street, or smoking on the bus do you report them too?

What about the guy dealing crack on the street corner, do you bother reporting that?

Sponsored Links
Does non-registration mean that the guy is a cowboy? If someones registration lapses one day, does that mean that the work done the next day is bad? Is work from a crap registered plumber better than a good non-registered plumber

The thing to be clear about is the reasons for wanting to report such a person in the first place

A cowboy is generally someone who does poor work (which may include high charges), and not someone who is just unregistered

My understanding is if you are doing gas installation work for profit you have to by law be gassafe registered ?
is that correct?

so anyone who is not gassafe registered and is doing installation work for proffit should be reported as they are breaking the law.. irrespective of whether they are good at it or not..

letting your registration lapse is unprofessional unless it's a good excuse such as you were out of the country for 6 months at the time or that you have been ill in hospital

You could have edited that WDIK we wouldn't have said anything... :evil:

you'll go blind doing that.. or at least my priest told me I would..
I wear goggles now just in case... ;)

And when you see someone drop a crisp packet in the street, or smoking on the bus do you report them too?

What about the guy dealing crack on the street corner, do you bother reporting that?

Um, lets see, has anyone been seriously injured or killed by litter? Silly analogy woody.

No its not.

If one is of a mind to go around "reporting" unlawful events, then where does it stop or start? Do gas engineers only want to report non-Gas Safe work and electricians only want to report non-Part P work?

Litter dropping is just as unlawful as working with gas, as is smoking on a bus just as injurious to other's health.

What about the time you see a decorator scraping Artex?

Speeding and reckless driving is potentially dangerous, working off a ladder or clambering up a roof is dangerous.

So why just stop at reporting gas related work? Or does everyone go around looking for unlawful events and report everything they see?

At the end of the day dropping a crisp packet in the street isn't likely to kill anyone is it? albeit still an offence! things need to be kept in perspective. The Gas Safe scheme is there as a means to ensure all those registered work safely and and don't endanger lives. Anyone not registered for whatever reason should be reported if they continue to work on Gas appliances..

"regular" speeders I don't report ( ie 35ish in a 30, 45ish in a 40 and so on.. ) but the idiots doing 60 in a 30 or 100 on the M-ways I do report..

as for "Part P" electricians, no I don't report them just for being unregistered as it's not an offence to do electrical work without being registered as it is with a gas installation..

Sponsored Links
Back