Gas service engineer/installer wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone want a job in Norwich?

Must be excellent installer, excellent service/fault finding skills, customer attidude must be customer is king and is always right, prepared to work on their own.

Oh, and love and know Vaillants inside out :LOL: No ex-house bashers need apply.

Sounds like I want someone like me :LOL:

Sponsored Links
As many as you can handle as long as you turn up on time each morning :LOL:

I need a Vaillant loving installer too but in the Caterham, Surrey area.

Can also be a two timer with Viessmann and Bosch. All the normal benefits including bonus, BUPA, Pension, DeWalt cordless tools and Merc Sprinter.

Ideally not a cider drinker. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Can't find a decent installer /engineer around here for love or money. Plenty of cr ap out there though :eek:

Is that what you're finding Simon?

We are having the same

me and the guv are working our assses off keeping up with the work but every applicant we have is either a total numpty nugget or "I only want to install boilers, dont like servicing them" cos they too are numpty nuggets!

Oh I almost forgot Mr "I am an accountat/bank manager/engineer and if I can do MY job i can surely do your **** annt brain dead job"

:)

If this is an application thread, I need someone with half a brain for North London. If they have a whole brain then they might even get some wages ;).

Are you looking to sub out work? I'd be interested in that as Im East Anglia. In the same way that I have subbed out work to other installers on big jobs when I've been snowed under. I've got a BIG solar contract to quote on and Im sure I'll need help on that lot if I get it.

But, I prefer Atag ;)

I just breathed a sigh of relief that the apprentice took the hint and got a job with my roofer m8. His dad (who is a trained plumber but never set up in business, went and became a fireman instead, and continued to support he black economy) said to me last night when asking to collect his tools "I think you are expecting too much of him he's only just turned 17"

Well it's been like talking to a plank of wood for the whole year, and he doen't jump in and pick up the tool bag or have the next fitting I might need ready or anything. Sent him to cap off the open vent, and he came back "can't find the tank". When I had to leave the important work I was doing and go up three flights of staris I was little cross to find I could touch from the step ladders. This is just one of many stories, you wouldn't believe what a patent man I am.

If I ever come on here saying I've got another apprentice, someone shoot me please.

I don't know how the nation is going to fix it's float valves in 20 years time.

I have decided to give up employing other people to try and get through the huge amount of work we have to handle, because you spend even more time going round patching up and making up for their uselessness.

I think the answer lies in truning down work instead of taking it just to provide jobs for twits.

Even on the electrical side it's hopeless employing. I had a electro mechanical fitter who I paif £8 an hour, on a really good day I maybe made £2 an hour out of him, and some jobs his wages cost me £500 more than the profit on the job, I'm not kidding. He was careful and neat and safe but oh so slow, (and another thing I'm defo banning mobile phones if I ever employ again) cause he was always engaged when I phoned him. Anyhow he got a job in an agency paying £13.50 hr and seems to be geting plenty of work. Another guy came for electrical experience, he was a lilly handed office worker with 2330 a one year useless course e;ectricians like to have, but makes them of no value to me. He was absolutely hopeless. I said you can come along for experience but I can't make a penny out ofr you so you won't get any money. Never saw him again but he turned up at merchants other day, he's on £8.50 hr as electricians m8, hands still looked as useless as the day he was with me. I have to say I looked at the electrician he was standing with like you would look at a starving child, I felt his pain. Fancy having to pay that thing £8.50, unthinkable.

This might seem hard, but with all the government imposed overheads and the pressure from the oversubscription to the band of slef employed jobbing plumbers which entails there being vertual no phone calls resulting from massively overpriced flag waving advertising overheads, and the problems with theft of tools , the massive increase in the cost of the tools required for the job, and then the public psyche about us overpaid plumbers, it's not actually worth being in buseness at all.

When Matt took that job for £13.50 an hour I nearly shut up shop and went with him, and am still pondering why I am happy to earn less net of overheads for working 120 hours a week than he gets for 40 hours and he can switch off when he goes home.

It's a tough world, if we employ to train we are a charity, but we are now poor, so we can't afford charity.

Best thing for the public reading this is brush up on your diy skills and we'll just advise you in our spare time.

Anyway Gas4u good luck with the situation. Maybe the person for your job is getting sick of working for the gas board as we speak, and if his knees have got any life left in them, he's your man. You get what you pay for, if you can't afford the pay the man you will get will suck your business dry and you with it.

Paying the rate the work in the area will support you just get monkeys for that rate. I don't particularly get my kicks dipping into our personal finances so someone can have a good wage, so that's it for me, join the many happy looking fellers driving round on their onw in their own good time with their phones switched off, just picking out the jobs from the answerphone they fancy.

I think you have summed up all my fears of employing someone in your response Paul. I to have tried the apprentice route, never again :cry:

The problem we all have these days is that anyone any good is either working for themselves or with an employer who realises their worth and looks after them to keep them.

hteng; cheers, but at present I am looking for someone on the books ;)

I think it's fair to say that the heating installer / maintainer industry is in Deepest Sh1t! Something Must Be Done (but I've no cure-all ideas).

As for two much work, you only have yourself to blame.. Any customer you have worked for have there number in your phone for just over a year so if they call you answer them every other call let the answer machine pick it up and then decide wether you want the work or not..Most people have mobiles and i always tell existing cutomers to text me which they are happy to do.

I am never going to be a millionaire and there is no way i am going to kill myself trying to be. Fridays is golf day, now at ten bob a hole i may make that million. :LOL: :LOL:

I tell customers to text me first. If one of those con merchants pretending you agreed to go in a directory 6 months ago and it's now ready which schools would I like it sent to, and I happen to asnwer it, as soon as I realise who it is I just say "hello? hello? hello?" as if I can't hear them and they go away. It's marvelous.

Can get one of these calls aday, three a week from ufindus, two a week from Duotool in Glasgow, the list goes on.

Some days I haven't even the heart to check the answer phone.

It must be marvelous to work for an agency and change the phone number, what freedom?

I must be a madman hanging on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back