Gas smell from boiler when it switches off.

I made it very clear that I was only referring to the boiler my friend has. So don't know why you falsely accuse me of generalising. Why are plumbers so rude?

She is lucky to have the stainless HE which presumably does come with the advice I was given by their tech help.

The MI don't help though!

But many boilers have built in frost protection which will be disabled with a three wire connection.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Leave each other alone you lot your like my kids! Lol

Guessman give me more info on the 3 wire issue. This makes sense from what we see as a user. It is a heat only boiler.

I can go and open the cover if I need to check but I know from memory there are two mains flex wires. One I believe is power coming in and the other is going back to the digital clock.

There is a single white wire from memory that is free and isolated in a small terminal block. Is this an issue?

If the display goes off when the time clock is off, it has been wired as a three wire. this is the way old boilers that didn't require a pump overrun were installed. The extra whit wire means it may be possible to wire your boiler to allow pump and fan overrun. A good heating engineer will be able to check and rewire if this is the case. From experience electricians who can do heating control wiring are rare, but you may know a good one.

Despite the edited post making me the bad guy, not a bad guess was it?

With a wire to the clock it does sound as if it is connected with a live supply and a call for heat.

But that will be indicated if the boiler display is active with the timer off.

It also means the suggestion of a lack of fan over run is not relevant.

The three wire reference is when the boiler is supplied with an earth, live and neutral which is powered when the boiler is needed to give heat.

It can be used on some models but prevents any frost protection in the boiler from operating and prevents any pump over run from being provided by the boiler when it has that facility. Also any fan over run the boiler may have.

Sponsored Links
SO seeing as you are so informative regards stuff can you confirm that the FCO done what i said the majority would do or tell me exactly what he done whilst attending your reported leak , dont say you never noticed

What's been done to date:

Checked for gas leaks from meter to gas tap under boiler.
Check flue gases and operation of the boiler is good.
Change burner to heat exchanger gasket and recommissioned.
Various sniffer leak tests seems they have to do this for 15 mins till machone beeps.
Discuss various options that could be the cause but not find the problem!

I'm not an expert I'm a mechanical engineer so understand the concepts of how the boiler works that's it.

No thats not what i asked what did the FCO DO

My heating is on at the moment.

I've just gone through pressed advance and switched the heating off. Boiler status c changes immediately to 0 burner light goes off fan ran for just over 4 minutes.

I've then put it back on.

Heating goes off at 10pm timed so I will check fan runs then also.

No thats not what i asked what did the FCO DO

FCO checked for gas leak in the supply by testing at the meter.

Used a sniffer round the boiler casing but obviously didn't open boiler.

Did a CO check round house.

Said system was considered safe up to boiler and advised getting service people back.

Put a label on the boiler saying do not use until checked by appliance engineer.

Last edited:
tHE GUY WHO COME OUT FROM EMERGENCY SERVICE

My heating is on at the moment.

I've just gone through pressed advance and switched the heating off. Boiler status c changes immediately to 0 burner light goes off fan ran for just over 4 minutes.

I've then put it back on.

Heating goes off at 10pm timed so I will check fan runs then also.

It's not been wired 3 wire, I guessed wrong. Good luck I'm out of here.

Bonnybrig as in south of Edinburger right? Also, is the boiler an Ideal Logic Heat only?
Quick read through this & I think it's condensate pipe related. The older Logics needed an air break for the syphonic condensate trap to drain, so there maybe something not connected correctly

Do me a favour and stick a pic up of paperwork he left

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back