Gas smell from boiler when it switches off.

Your thinking of Bonnyrigg!

It is a heat only boiler.

The condensate goes into a clear trap box inside the boiler. It has a rubber bung on the bottom which sticks through the boiler casing. Outside the boiler casing white drain pipe 21mm about is pushed straight up into this bung and runs down and is connected into the 2 inch drain for washing machine dishwasher etc.

Sponsored Links
Just been through timer switched boiler off at 10pm. Boiler went immediately to O burner light went off. Fan ran for 4 mins. No smell of gas.

It's normally some time after this we smell gas. I will check it half hourly and report back.

Thanks

Just been through to boiler 22 mins after it had turned off. Washroom stinks of gas!

I have put heating on again and will try a manual overide shut down and see if same happens.

We've never smelt gas when the boiler is on wether burner is on or not.

Sponsored Links
Surely the point is that even if the boiler is faulty he shouldn't be able to smell gas in the room?

Can you smell gas outside by the flue, does the boiler light with a bang?

Is the washing machine waste plumber straight in or via a standpipe?

Have you tried spray bleach down the sink overflow?

You need to decide if it's gas or sewer smells before you know what to look at

That's what I've been told as well the boiler casing should be sealed.

It's Deffo gas from within the boiler as when we smelt it and called service eng out again 2nd or 3rd time because we smelt gas the boiler had been off about 2hrs. The washroom was fresh as we'd had windows opened.

When they took boiler cover off we all got the smell of gas again. But there sniffer didn't detect a leak and once the casing was off a few mins the smell dispersed.

They said it was normal to have a gas smell in the boiler casing but it shouldn't come into the room because of the casing seal. But there is a difference between a normal used appliance smell and what we're getting!

No gas smell at flue. Boiler doesn't light with a bang.

Facts after trial and error testing tonight:

When the boiler is running or on with out the burner on due to everything being at temp there is no smell of gas.

When the boiler has been on and is turned off either through the correct time on the clock or advance overide there is a bad smell of gas about 15 to 20 mins after in the boiler room.

Once the gas smell has dispersed it does not reappear until the boiler has been run a d switch off again as above.

Could the gas valve be shutting late and filling the boiler casing with gas after the fan has stopped?

Seems your loving the attention bonnybrig.
Give it a rest.

Seems your loving the attention bonnybrig.
Give it a rest.

Get a grip mate I'd rather have been in my bed 2hrs ago. I've got a bag of **** boiler that stinks the boiler room of gas everytime it goes off but the large service company I use can't fix it after having sent 2 different engineers and 1 technical expert to look at it.

If you've actually got any knowledge worth saying I'd be happy to hear it.

If you've actually got any knowledge worth saying I'd be happy to hear it.
Sorry but I'm all out of knowledge.
I guess you could switch the boiler off and immediately turn off gas isolation valve under the appliance.....if it still smells of gas then it ain't gonna be natural gas.

It is a heat only boiler.

The condensate goes into a clear trap box inside the boiler. It has a rubber bung on the bottom which sticks through the boiler casing. Outside the boiler casing white drain pipe 21mm about is pushed straight up into this bung and runs down and is connected into the 2 inch drain for washing machine dishwasher etc.
Get under the sink and take the trap off - see what the smell from the waste pipe is like, compare it to "the smell" (y)

where at any time did you mention that you had CO detectors that were activating yet your SGN report says that the reason for the call was that 2 x CO detectors activating and as I previously correctly told you the FCO did not sign it off as safe as you called it he At Risked it turned it off and told you to get a registered engineer in

Reason for not mentioning CO detectors was to keep my question on here simple otherwise it would have been a huge spiel covering what's happened over 6 weeks!

Which in quick form is:

Boiler routine serviced.

A week after that came home after all being out for about 5 hrs to two CO detectors going off.

Called emergency number SGN engineer checked for gas leaks and CO. Nothing found.

Got service company out next morning after leaving boiler off overnight.

Service company found no leak or CO. But wanted to change burner and gasket. These were ordered. Had no heating for a week over new year.

Service company changed burner gasket as burner looked ok.

On going saga of repeat visits with nothing found no gas leak or CO. Told to use system and report gas smell if it happens.

No gas smell if boiler has been off over night.

20 mins after boiler is switched off any time its been running there's always a big smell of gas. This is definitely gas and not a drain smell etc.

If you leave boiler off and open windows to allow smell to disperse you will not have a gas smell again until the boiler has been on and running and is then switched off and about 20 mins has past.

?
Thanks

Last edited:
If there is a gas escape downstream of the meter with a detectable smell of gas I would classify the relevant appliance as Immediately Dangerous regardless of whether or not the smell dispersed. It means your boiler has had 2 serious faults in a short while. Sorry but I would leave it turned off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back