gatso

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what speed dp you have to go thru a 60mph camera for it 2 flash? and what are the tolerances for speeding?

Sponsored Links
I thought it was 10% of the speed limit + 3Mph.....so 69mph in a 60 zone

Hang on....im sure there is a link somewhere...just need to find it

GrantF said:

i was told a few year ago it was 10% +1. but anyway, whats the chances of me gettin a fine/points for 64MPH?

andrew2022 said:
GrantF said:

i was told a few year ago it was 10% +1. but anyway, whats the chances of me gettin a fine/points for 64MPH?

None I'd say. I know one speed camera near me in a 50 limit that doesnt flash till 57, and another in a 70 zone that goes off at 83....so id hazard a guess at 67-68 mph for a 60mph gatso..

They have 14 days to serve the NIP to you, so if you havent heard anything after that, your OK

Sponsored Links
GrantF said:
andrew2022 said:
GrantF said:

None I'd say. I know one speed camera near me in a 50 limit that doesnt flash till 57, and another in a 70 zone that goes off at 83....so id hazard a guess at 67-68 mph for a 60mph gatso..

They have 14 days to serve the NIP to you, so if you havent heard anything after that, your OK

good. i dont think it flashed anyway, but it daylight its hard to tell. esp when you dont know until you see the lines on the ground. fortunatly, i was actually slowing to 60 at the time

well there is a way to make sure you dont get the nip but you have to do it before the camera film is changed

now how does that song go

knowing me knowing you aha there is nothing we can do

nah sorry wrong one

burn baby burn etc

Slogger said:
well there is a way to make sure you dont get the nip but you have to do it before the camera film is changed

now how does that song go

knowing me knowing you aha there is nothing we can do

nah sorry wrong one

burn baby burn etc

could do, but i dont think it did get me.

and i once herd of someone who got flashed in his car, went back in a open back van with gas burning stuff, pulled up in the busiest time and cut the top off. and 2 cop cars drove past and didnt relize he was stealing it.

If you don't hear anything for 14 days, they can't fine you.

masona said:
If you don't hear anything for 14 days, they can't fine you.
gatsos should be banned anyway. unless its in a area where they are lots of crashes. this camera is on a 60 zone single carriageway where the ;anes are seperated by a grass (6M apart!)

andrew2022 said:
gatsos should be banned anyway.
I have to disagree with you, I would goes one better and that is to hide the camera so everyone will stick to speed limit not knowing where they are and it will also stop the braking accidents.

masona said:
andrew2022 said:
gatsos should be banned anyway.
I have to disagree with you, I would goes one better and that is to hide the camera so everyone will stick to speed limit not knowing where they are and it will also stop the braking accidents.

there all just a money makin scheme. they can cause more crashes than they reduce. aswell as the fact that you can easily speed in certain areas, safely. i.e open, clear motorways

The problem with cameras is that the locals know where they are. For instance, the M25 near Heathrow. Regulars know which gantries to slow for, and get right up on the back bumper of those who slow down for all of them.

Of course, you really don't have any right to sit on the back bumper of someone because they aren't speeding!

I am sure there are some ill-posted speed limits, but I am yet to find a road where the speed limit isn't obvious. If people would read up on the rules then they wouldn't "think" that 30mph zones were 40s.

In obtaining Home Office approval the accuracy of the Gatsometer speed camera system was demonstrated and independently evaluated as being within the required ±2 mph for speeds up to 60 mph and within 2% for speeds above 60 mph whilst operating within the temperature range -20°C to +60°C. The approval covers the measurement of vehicle speeds up to 155 mph.....
Secondary speed measurement....... two photographs provide the secondary evidence of a vehicle's speed. The distance travelled during the time interval is estimated from road markings at a known spacing. The secondary speed measurement then becomes a matter of distance/time which must be within 10% of the primary evidence. The time interval between photographs, typically 0.5 to 0.7 seconds, is derived from a timing source that is standalone.

I believe the operator can alter the time interval between shots from 0.5 to 0.7 sec .. But it has been said that the picture always shows 0.5 secs.. which may not be true .. hence much feather ruffling and hissing among the 'on the cusp' violators..

I reckon minimum 'offence' level, setup for Gatso will be (LIMIT + 2mph) + 10% To conform with 'Type approval' limitations.
30 = 32+3 = 35
40 = 42+4 = 46
50 = 52+5 = 57
60 = 62+6 = 68
70 = 72+7 = 79
Settings may vary above this due to poor setup or local force requirements...
I cannot see how they can be set lower ...
It is also said that if holding no film the setting may be lower, for the flash to remind the errant.
The tolerances from manually used cameras may differ... especially the 10% part.... Due to an expert witness in attendance... Maybe much lower, no data on that.
Source :-
http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/dcsc/enfotech/gatso.htm

There is a young fellow hereabouts with a 'cheque wreck' ;) He will rename that in a very 'Secure' fashion... and may explain further.
Be good to hear if anyone has been Gatso'd below any of the speeds above, Gatso only, no other type.
;)

What do you want me to talk about, Pip?

I got gatso'd doing an alleged 36, but cannot square the distance travelled with the Gatso's speed measurement. It is nigh on impossible to see in my case just how far the car has travelled, given that the difference in road covered between 30mph and 36mph in 0.5s (supposedly) is 1.34m.

Am still arguing the toss with the CC......

Sponsored Links
Back