Non-speeding

Yes, they would see it (I tried pointing my camcorder at the barbecue last Saturday night, the coals showed up white!!!), but would it be illegal?

After all, you aren't intercepting any signals of theirs (the old reason that was given against radar detectors), and provided it isn't illegal to have IR lights of that power on your car, there isn't really much they can do other than wag their finger and issue you with a producer. Which wouldn't show anything illegal.

Of course, your fuel economy might dip slightly if you are driving around with several hundred watts of lighting load the whole time!

Sponsored Links
They may get you on intent to avoid detection.
The wattage should be extremely low and not a problem with IR LEDS you would need say a half a dozen(still milliamps) to get enough flickering coverage to totally blank out your plate? Some time back i was considering building an IR device to talk to the following(or leading) car converting speech into IR and back to speech again, one thing that put me off was range but the latest generation of leds may make that idea a goer again if so then im sure subtle angling of the device would be enough to dazzle a speed camera :)

AdamW said:
I can think of a few ways to beat the Gatso systems, although the outlay required would probably be greater than the fine and increased insurance for one 3-point ticket. Beating SPECS etc. is nigh on impossible without removing your numberplates.

I wonder where the law stands on this. Provided you have numberplates conforming to regs, is it illegal to have some kind of device that flashes brightly and thus "blinds" a camera? Especially if it is an IR flash, in which case you won't dazzle anyone?
Don't Gatsos have normal optics and normal film in them, and not the CCDs that digital cameras have that are sensitive to IR?

ban-all-sheds said:
AdamW said:
I can think of a few ways to beat the Gatso systems, although the outlay required would probably be greater than the fine and increased insurance for one 3-point ticket. Beating SPECS etc. is nigh on impossible without removing your numberplates.

I wonder where the law stands on this. Provided you have numberplates conforming to regs, is it illegal to have some kind of device that flashes brightly and thus "blinds" a camera? Especially if it is an IR flash, in which case you won't dazzle anyone?
Don't Gatsos have normal optics and normal film in them, and not the CCDs that digital cameras have that are sensitive to IR?
I doubt Adam will reply, as he was last seen around these parts on April 8th...

Anyway, I don't know the answer for sure, but would have thought that (at least the newer) Gatsos would be digital.

Sponsored Links
take a dish from the sink and put in 2 gallon of petrol then place an old blanket in so it soaks it all up

now you will need a long stick to place the blaket over the gatso and a longer one with a match on the end to light it with

this is only effective i you do it as soon as your flashed :LOL:

so best carry the ingredients you never know when you will need them

heres one i done earlier

www.gatsofryingtonight.co.uk

i got six points 10 years ago..i forgot all about it until now ...i've just changed my insurance company and they want a photocopy of my licence....i've still got the old type and when i looked at it i saw these points from ten years ago...is it three years they stop on your licence for?

They remain on your license for four years, but they cease to count towards the twelve point threshold after three years.

However, many underwriters are interested in a five year accident and conviction history, so even if a four-year-old conviction has been wiped off your license you're obliged to tell them about it, if asked.

Softus said:
They remain on your license for four years, but they cease to count towards the twelve point threshold after three years.

However, many underwriters are interested in a five year accident and conviction history, so even if a four-year-old conviction has been wiped off your license you're obliged to tell them about it, if asked.

A point I have been recently pondering:

I was misfortunate/damnright stupid enough to get a drink-drive conviction in March last year, resulting in a 2-and-a-half year ban. I get my license back next september, but now I live in Brighton and don't need a car, I was thinking of leaving it an extra 2-and-a-half years, purely for that reason.

"Have you had any convictions/points in the last five years?" I would be able to answer, perfectly honestly, "No."

However, the DR10 stays on my license for 11 years. How do I stand?

ninebob said:
"Have you had any convictions/points in the last five years?" I would be able to answer, perfectly honestly, "No."

However, the DR10 stays on my license for 11 years. How do I stand?
You'll certainly be able to answer the 'five years' question completely honestly, but underwriters are far from being stupid people, hence there are other common questions that insurers ask, for example: "Have you ever been banned?".

Also, since I expect that you told your insurers (i.e. at the time of your ban) of your circumstances, I would expect there to be legacy data about you, and you never quite know what information is being shared between insurers.

The establishment and the insurance industry both have it in for DR offenders. :(

Does your number plate/s rattle?..if so according to a mate of mine the vibration avoids cameras reading numbers on movement...Now i don't know if this is true or not..

anyway getting back to speed cameras,Down the road near where i live there is a device which flashes the speed limit when you come up to it.you don't get a speeding ticket.you don't get fined.you don't get penalty points.....why can't there be more of this kind of device on our roads..or is that to simple for the "SAFETY CAMERA PARTNERSHIP" There's no money innit (shame).

vokera80e said:
There's no money innit (shame).
Are you by any chance one of those people who believes that our government, and all its many and varied agencies, takes your money and spends in a way that doesn't benefit you?

If so then your statement is to be expected. However, FYI, the purpose of fining speeders, other than to penalise, is to fund the process of catching and fining them.

If you don't want to get fined then don't get caught. Better still - don't speed in the first place. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
vokera80e said:
There's no money innit (shame).
Are you by any chance one of those people who believes that our government, and all its many and varied agencies, takes your money and spends in a way that doesn't benefit you?

YES

Sponsored Links
Back