Non-speeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was flashed by the gatso camera at 5:30 am this morning :eek: and I was doing 24 mph :!: There was 3 cars behind me who didn't get flash at all. Who do I reported this to ? If I do get the speeding fine, who's going to believe me ?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the camera was faulty, dont worry they can check your speed by the road markings and will reject your photo if you were not speeding.

I can see the headlines now,

Local motorist, A Mason was the first person prosecuted today after being caught crawling along the road at 24 mph in a 40 mph zone, causing a tailback of three cars... :D

Just kidding!

P.S. Like the sig

mildmanneredjanitor said:
I can see the headlines now,

Local motorist, A Mason was the first person prosecuted today after being caught crawling along the road at 24 mph in a 40 mph zone, causing a tailback of three cars... :D
Been reading The Sun again have you ? ;)

I was leaving the newsagent shop and the gatso camera just in front of it :!:

BTW it's 30 mph not 40 mph :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You might have been followed by a former work colleague of mine who used to carry a camera flashgun in his car and if he was cut up he'd follow the person until they passed a camera and then set it off :) especially effective at night.

dont worry about it. You can phone up your local police hq and ask to speak to someone in the speed enforcement dept and explain what happened, but they should automatically disregard it

Thermo

I know a gatso where this happened to a colleague of my mum. 40mph zone, she was doing less than 40 and it flashed. This camera also had a tendency to flash oncoming cars as well.

She rang the local police and they said that they knew the camera was faulty, so not to worry about it.

No, you're fine, happened to me in almost identical circumstances. Very much doubt you'll get a fine.

masona,
no it is not unheard of at all. It does happen with a fairly high regularity, with cameras going off for various wrong reasons. I have to say though that the majority of errors do get weeded out and disposed of. If you havnt heard anything within 14 days dont worry as that is the statutory time limit.

Thermo

Thanks, just incase I have jammed the letter box for the next 14 days :LOL:

Thermo said:
If you havnt heard anything within 14 days dont worry as that is the statutory time limit.
Out of interest, I take it they renew the films every 2 wks ?

I believe you can demand to see the original pictures, not copies. Also the calibration certificate for the camera ... Am sure I read that on one of the web sites re. cameras .. I guess it gives them a certain amount of rope to hang themselves with ..
Calibration was a nightmare at times in my experience ... many an audit picking up on the lack of compliance - missing labels / out of date etc etc.
Look out Sparkies !! I wonder if 'P' will require auditable records of any test equipment required ?

STOCKPORT ? http://www.stockportexpress.co.uk/news/index/articles/article_id=17109.html

P

It used to be (might still be) that digitally enhanced photographs were not submissible. So, a lot of people managed to get their convictions overturned when it was found they had been convicted with enhanced photos.

Even though it blatantly was them, if you couldn't tell with an unenhanced photo, then you couldn't convict them!

I think the law has since been changed though. Like all those people who had their tickets overturned because the speedlimit signage didn't conform to the law and the limit was thus unenforceable.

masona,
they change the film on a regular basis dependent on how busy the sigght is. Some get changed a couple of times daily in busy cities when they first go up. Without getting to lawyerish the reason for the two weeks is that you have to be served with a notice of intended prosecution or NIP to remind you of the offence within 14 days of tracing you. Hence the time delay

Thermo

Thinking in terms of speed proof when camera flashes incorrectly .. guess you would need the pictures to proof the speed against road markings for your own vehicle.
P

Sponsored Links
Back