Non-speeding

As for covering up the number plate, gives you a choice. £ points and the fine for speeding, or the potential of having your car seized and being done for attempting to pervert the course of justice......i know which id choose!

Sponsored Links
masona wrote:

How do they trace the car owner back in their own country or do they get away with it ?
I was involved with training some Korean guys a few years back. One day one of them came up to me and asked to speak to me about a "personal problem". "Ah well, here we go," I thought. However, it transpired that he'd been clocked going through Woodstock (Oxfordshire?) over the speed limit and caught on camera. He was driving a rented car but the fine had arrived at his address. He'd even asked for the photographic evidence which had duly been supplied. Caught bang to rights. I told him to follow the instructions and send off his licence and the £40.

Two weeks later, on the eve of his departure from the UK he came back and showed me a letter that said that due to him being a foreign national the system couldn't handle his case and that he would shortly be be receiving a summons to appear in court. They had returned his driving licence and the cheque for £40.

He went home with a good story about the quirks of the UK traffic legal system!! :LOL:

kendor said:
Several methods of avoiding getting your number plate photographed have been mentioned but how about an extra pipe leading into the final part of the exhaust after the Cat say linked to an oil reservoir and actuated by a solenoid and switch that you flick on just as you approach the camera at high speed, the resultant smog hopefully will obscure the number plate and most likely the whole car :LOL:

Afterburner ? Tailpipe may be too cool ! ... redex injection into inlet manifold !!
Or ... Make it legal get a Wartburg Trabant ;)

Given there always seems to be an answer .. apart from keeping to speed limits / not driving etc ... I wonder what it might be ??
P

Antifreeze injected into a hot exhaust manifold produces an impressive smoke screen from the exhaust pipe.

Dunno if it would do much good for your cat, mind.

With regards to the "special" numberplates, from what I can tell they just have a reflective coating on them, the idea being that the numberplate part of the picture is overexposed and unreadable. However according to the police camera programmes on TV, they don't work. You can occasionally spot one, generally on a Nova, when your headlights hit the numberplate it shines instead of glowing.

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Afterburner ? Tailpipe may be too cool ! ... redex injection into inlet manifold !!Or ... Make it legal get a Wartburg Trabant ;)

Given there always seems to be an answer .. apart from keeping to speed limits / not driving etc ... I wonder what it might be ??
P
I wonder if redex might damage the Cat? same as the oil may have damaged it if fed from the manifold? or does the cat get hot enough to burn off oily residue?

Perhaps a reactive Black paint for the numbers and letters that goes yellow and merges with the background when exposed to a bright flash of light, more science fiction than reality probably, unless someone with a chemistry background might know otherwise?

Many moons ago, there used to be an Lotus Europa around these parts with the front number plate hinged at the top, so when the car reached a certain speed the air pressure it would hinge back! Very simple! (trouble is this was the front? May take some adapting for the back... :D

mildmanneredjanitor said:
Many moons ago, there used to be an Lotus Europa around these parts with the front number plate hinged at the top, so when the car reached a certain speed the air pressure it would hinge back! Very simple! (trouble is this was the front? May take some adapting for the back... :D
The flapping must have made a racket and alerted it's approach to all and sundry " hey look i'm speeding" :LOL:

Not an answer to the problem, but all this reminds me - I once worked somewhere where there was a very unpopular senior manager, and he drove the same make/colour car as one of us-who-disliked-him.

There was a speed camera near the office, and this was a while ago, when you could just go and buy a number plate in an accessory shop with no proof needed that it was for your car.

You can probably guess the fun we had - we even made sure that our high speed runs past the camera were done when he was working late in the office....

Old mate bought a second hand Mk1 Cortina, had been running around for 6 months or more ... been through MOT, been stopped at routine late night check at least twice, 'twas I that noticed, purely by accident his front and rear number plates were different .. Ok only one character, but different nevertheless .... The front one was correct !! He did buy the car from an Irish guy .....
That was before the camera of course ...

P

Remember about 15 years ago when the petrol prices hiked suddenly, people were removing their number plates before entering forecourts, filling up and driving off without paying...

Perhaps you could adapt the hinged Europa mechanism: the Porsche 911 Carrera has a spoiler that automatically raises at some speed (74mph rings a bell). If you could wire an actuator in parallel with the spoiler one, then you could automatically fold the number plates in when the spoiler goes up, and razz round the M25 or any other motorway with cameras... provided you don't come across any police cars you might be OK!

I can think of a few ways to beat the Gatso systems, although the outlay required would probably be greater than the fine and increased insurance for one 3-point ticket. Beating SPECS etc. is nigh on impossible without removing your numberplates.

I wonder where the law stands on this. Provided you have numberplates conforming to regs, is it illegal to have some kind of device that flashes brightly and thus "blinds" a camera? Especially if it is an IR flash, in which case you won't dazzle anyone?

Of course, it is much easier and cheaper to just not speed! :LOL:

Funny thing is, I for one am not talking up speeding, I am not happy about being caught for, what ? exceeding the limit for 100 metres or so, I try to abide by the limits, (sometimes I stray above especially in a not so well known area) ... and am sure deserve more lenience then a whole raft of low lifes being 'let off' far more anti social behaviour ... Nb 'electrified garage door' .
If I am caught on such as my local by-pass at 55 mph with no other traffic around no junctions no adjacent housing areas to either side perfectly clear and flat ... Then I would feel that society feels I am worse than the perpetual garage breakers, damaging lives, property and finances !!
No wonder the Police fear that we are losing / have lost confidence in them ....
P

I like your idea on the IR Adam, with enough leds you could have it on permanently only prob is that it will show on the VDU's in the Police vehicles.

AdamW said:
........ Beating SPECS etc. is nigh on impossible without removing your numberplates.......
Use discrimination to your own advantage get a Mo-bike .. no front number plate ;)

kendor said:
I like your idea on the IR Adam, with enough leds you could have it on permanently only prob is that it will show on the VDU's in the Police vehicles.

Yes, you see I am wondering if this would be legal or not. It is rumoured that driving with your main beams on can dazzle police laser guns. However, driving around with dazzling bright lamps all day is obviously wrong and if you installed brighter bulbs than the allowed specs you are breaking the law.

However, provided you could use an IR source that didn't give off too much in the visible band, then is that illegal? Provided it isn't super-duper powerful then you aren't hurting anyone (IR lasers can cause eye damage, but that is highly focussed).

Or is it illegal under some "hampering the course of justice" type law? If they saw you bright on their VDUs, called the traffic car down the road and got him to stop you (by now you are not speeding), what could he charge you with?

exceeding the limit for 100 metres or so

Yes, I do know what you mean, when overtaking someone on a country lane it is sometimes easy (and even necessary) to go a bit over for a second or so. Especially if they are one of those g*ts who drives at 40 on a long straight stretch of country lane, then gets angry when you start to overtake so floors it.

Unfortunately the cameras in the cars would show the IR as a visible Flickering Beam, try a telly remote with your camcorder and you'll see what i mean

Sponsored Links
Back