Good News on Vaccines and Delta Variant

I'm hoping they now just let the virus run regardless, can't go back into lockdown again.

The news is full of doom and gloom again trying to cause panic.

If they try locking us down again what's the point in bothering to get jabbed?

It's excellent news the jabs seem to be effective at currently all known strands..

Sponsored Links
I have to say that I have had two AZ vaccinations and I have just come out of isolation after contracting COVID.

I had a cough throughout and a minor temperature and poor SATs in the first couple of days (92% and 37.8° axil), but after that I very quickly improved every day thereafter.

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping they now just let the virus run regardless, can't go back into lockdown again.
Is there a figure for the number of deaths it would take for you to change that opinion, either from the virus or concomitant from hospitals being swamped?

The news is full of doom and gloom again trying to cause panic.
Or its full of truth and sober scientific reality which you and all the others who think that all we need is optimism simply dont want to hear.

If they try locking us down again what's the point in bothering to get jabbed?
"If"?? :rolleyes:

It's excellent news the jabs seem to be effective at currently all known strands..
How many experts in this country and others think that what we are doing is a sensible idea?

"If they try locking us down again what's the point in bothering to get jabbed?"
They'll say lockdown was becessary because not enough people were jabbed..
Don't forget the figures they quote every evening are for vaccinations of adults - kids carry it too. I suspect we'll have to get teenagers done.

"It's excellent news the jabs seem to be effective at currently all known strands.."
It's tentatively looking that way. Significantly effective anyway, especially if a modified vaccine is produced. Moderna did one, and AZ's is on the books. It looks like we can fight known possible variations of the spike with what we have and what we could easily make.

The virus is, simplified, a spike, plus "the rest", in a string of 30,000 nucleotides, like ACUAGACUGAAA etc etc making say
/\_._._._._._._._._._._._._._

The spike is the bit which it "Gets in" with, so that's the bit which all the vaccines target. If the virus changes its spike, the vaccines may not fit as well, but if the spike changes a lot, then it won't do what's necessary for the virus anyway.
"The rest" is lots of bits like antigen defeaters, duplication enablers, virus "capsule" makers and quite a lot we don't understand very well, so we don't really know how it does us damage in all the various organs, affecting the brain; for long covid; etc.
It's quite a big virus so it has a repairing mechanism(!) to correct errors when it replicates, but there are still mutations going on in "the rest".

The vaccines ONLY work against the spike bit, because that's the easy bit to recognize the virus with, as a bad thing.
(The MERS virus had a different sort of spike which went for a different receptor (not ACE2) and the vaccines were well on the way for MERS. That's why it was relatively quick to change the recipe for SARs-CoV-2 (covid) ).

If one of the mutations in "the rest" made it become really bad, given that the vaccines aren't perfect and don't stop everything getting in , we could still get a nasty variant.
Wot I mean is - say we have 25% getting infected despite vaccines now, but only with no/mild symptoms. No real drama, arguably. If something in that non-spike bit changed so it killed 33% though, (MERS was) it would be killing around 1 in 12. That's a proper flapping situation.
Vaccines aganst bits of "the rest" would be a different kettle of potatoes altogether, because they aren't accessible on the envelope(capsule) of the virus like the spike is.
It's all jolly interesting :).

I think this scenario only really applies to people who live in areas like Tower Hamlets. ;)
(n). But as long as they put the bullet proof vest on to walk through the door and then take it off again as soon as they walk through the door then they are absolutely safe.
Data shows that bullets will only strike you in a doorway.

Yes, I know. I pointed out that other diseases do the same. Pretty sure that is correct

Other diseases do not do the same.

give me a recent example of a disease that hospitalises so many people like the Kent variant did in January.

give an example of a disease, so infectious and deadly it has killed 700 healthcare workers in a year.
Give me an example of a disease that has left 2 million with long term symptoms.

you are intent on simplifying arguments until they are meaningless

So, you agree with ignoring all the other causes of death

Those other forms of death continue with or without covid.

Covid has killed many people who had plenty of years of quality life left……lockdown restrictions can and help reduce how many lose their life due to Covid.

Is there a figure for the number of deaths it would take for you to change that opinion, either from the virus or concomitant from hospitals being swamped?

Or its full of truth and sober scientific reality which you and all the others who think that all we need is optimism simply dont want to hear.

"If"?? :rolleyes:

How many experts in this country and others think that what we are doing is a sensible idea?

Firstly, I don't believe it's as black and white as that, there is many factors to consider, and we now need to factor in the vaccine and the positive effect it is having. There will be a point where we will just have to open it up and go with it, as awful and brutal as this may sound. We should at the very least continue with masks, social distancing where possible and hand sanitation as we are currently doing.

Secondly, there is more than covid in the news that's doom and gloomy. We've had over a year of doom and gloom now it's rather depressive.

Thirdly, the IF , no one has confirmed or not whether we will, so it stands firmly as an IF at present, unless you have a crystal ball and know different?

Now to your last point, what you have replied with is completely nothing to do with what I said in anyway shape or form. I said it was excellent news the vaccines are effective, I never made any statement that could be interpreted as saying what we are doing is good.

Firstly, I don't believe it's as black and white as that, there is many factors to consider, and we now need to factor in the vaccine and the positive effect it is having. There will be a point where we will just have to open it up and go with it, as awful and brutal as this may sound. We should at the very least continue with masks, social distancing where possible and hand sanitation as we are currently doing

I agree, it’s not black and white.

The govt have removed all restrictions and called it freedom day for entirely political reasons, which are wrong.

I personally think they should have removed restrictions on families and friends meeting, but kept masks and social distancing…as these only are effective when done as a collective effort.

I can’t understand why double vaccinated people need to isolate….surely that’s the point of being vaccinated.

In America... "At least 99% of those in US who died of Covid in the last six months had not been vaccinated, says CDC director Dr Rochelle Walensky"

That seems pretty conclusive proof that in countries where there are fewer vaccines, more people are dying. Vaccines save lives. Don't kill your parents / grandparents, get a vaccine!

I have to say that I have had two AZ vaccinations and I have just come out of isolation after contracting COVID
Friends of our who have both been double jabbed tested negative every day when their 22 year old son came down with it. Gives me hope.

I can’t understand why double vaccinated people need to isolate….surely that’s the point of being vaccinated.
Because they can still infect people. It's less likely but still likely enough that we should be isolating.

That's assuming we want to limit the spread of the disease. Which we don't seem to care about.

Sponsored Links
Back