Governor - How do they work?

the amazing Agile

some sort of typing error there namsag. :confused: unless you were being clever and likening tony to some sort of slight of hand magician who distracts you with babble.

Seanfhear, there must be about 3000 people in Essex called Brian !

If you think that will identify just you then you are not correct.

Why not tell us your surname and the town where you live?

The internal workings of a gas regulator are of little relevance to a boiler engineer as they are ( now ) sealed and not maintainable.

The potential faults are however and its that aspect which does not seem to be often taught at colleges or anywhere else for that matter.

Tony

er... remind me again why he needs to reveal his surname and town so that he can post on here? is there a forum rule that should be quoted here?

an all too common sight on this forum whereby someone gets the hump with an "outsider" posting information that an OP requested whilst not sticking to the all important safety regs.......which, im quite sure, dont mention not being able to discuss gas equipment for fear of giving out any "dodgy secrets".

tony is the worst offender.....i doubt your horse could get any higher tony.

Sponsored Links
Agile asked "

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:03 am Post Subject: Reply with quote
Agile asked " Seanfhear, there must be about 3000 people in Essex called Brian !

If you think that will identify just you then you are not correct.

Why not tell us your surname and the town where you live? "

Nickso, I do believe that Agile wants to come around to my house for tea on Sunday, hence the importance of knowing my address. Can you just imagine the resulting conversation? Compensated constant pressure governors and their operational characteristics under variable flow rates with one conversationalist not having a clue as to how they work! :cry: :cry:

Agile states "The potential faults are however and its that aspect which does not seem to be often taught at colleges or anywhere else for that matter."

Without divulging too much of my private life, I have told Agile in my last post all he needs to know, but all I can say is that he has not been to any gas orientated colleges where a full understanding of gas controls was also on the syllabus as a "need to know basis", not necessary a "must know". All he appears to have done, is to attend the equivalent of what I knew to be ACOPs courses and satisfied the criteria for Gas Safety in whatever field of work he wanted certification in. Remember, "One swallow does not a Summer make". Fully qualified Plumbers & Heating Engineers attended these courses , as they do now. Any specialized knowledge required in fault finding with heat generators, was and as is now, satisfied by attending the appropriate courses, so cementing further the operatives connection with the industry. Fat lot of good turning up on a heat generator fault finding course not knowing the design considerations of a two pipe C.H. system, let alone a two pipe reverse return or Microbore system ,saying "but I only want to know about the boiler" .
Remember the Gestalt Theory. Brian.

Anyone ever use Flamco,s self cutting T ??
I think it would be just the ticket for what I have in mind . :)
http://www.flamco.co.uk/

This T fitting (Flamco T Plus) is clamped around the pipe at the point where you want the branch,and copper pipe is inserted (or screwed) into the compression branch of the tee fitting and run away to whatever you are connecting to.
A sharp blow with a hammer on the head (firing pin) of the fitting then fires a small explosive which forces a cutting blade across the top of the pipe within the fitting effectively de-capitating that section and opening it up to the branch.
Flamco say it can be used with copper or steel piping. Maximum wall thickness for for steel piping is 4.85mm.
Any thoughts ?.
Would one be risking a larger explosion within the gas main ??.

Sponsored Links
I take it from your reply Brian I would need the likes of Red Adair standing by with more explosives to quell the inferno. :(

I like the look of those Flamco pipe tappers though. :D

Agile said:
sanj.varah said:
I didn't realise it was such a touchy subject on here but I was only asking to kill my own intrigue, for no other reason.

Dont worry Sanj. This kind of thing is fairly normal.

Having said that you could have explained your interest and involvement, e.g. :-

1. I am a houseowner and I want to know how the regulator works so that I can fiddle it to get more gas out.

2. I am sudying Hydraulics at Brunel College and they set us some tasks as part of the course work.

3. I am on a gas ACS course at the College of NW London and the tutor seemed a bit muddled and I need a little more confirmation.

had we know which applied to you, Sanji, they would have been better able to help ( or not! )

Tony

then again mr glazier you could stop talking *******s :rolleyes:

seanfhear said:
"No Answer" came the stern reply! Brian. (one of the 3000 ? )

you will see no reply from tony because as soon as he realises he is up to the ankle in his previously typed **** he will either no longer post any replys to your questions/posts, or he will blindly babble forth whilst still completely ignoring you.

Typical negative and less that polite comment from a British Gas employee or ex-employee.

Whatever happened to the polite friendly attitude that BG portrays in its adverts?

Agile said:
Typical negative and less that polite comment from a British Gas employee or ex-employee.

Whatever happened to the polite friendly attitude that BG portrays in its adverts?

typical tony reply. ignores the subject in hand and uses a rather clumsy attack on a persons past to gain favour with the BG haters.....how terribly last week :rolleyes:

you would be the one to ask about negative comments tony as you have mastered that quite well. i didnt see anything necessarily impolite about that post either.

i am polite to people who are polite to me. anyone who is impolite to me can expect the same in return.....customer or not......BG customer or not.

The trouble is like a lot of bull ****te#s Agile makes it look convincing and a lot of people on this and other sites take it as gospel when in reality he copies peoples diagnosis and words it slightly different . And makes up a load of chemical shi#e that is ridiculous but relies on peoples lack of knowledge My personal opinion is If he was that good he would not have to advertise to the extent he does.Work would come by word of mouth. Or is he just a simple employee and not the boss of a company as he makes out.

We all make mistakes and mis-diagnose or have an in grained view point the secret is listening to others and admitting our mistakes and altering our pre held views accordingly. . Agile cannot do this and makes himself look a right tw#t. Have lost count the amount of times he will back himself up.

Another ex-BG being negative and not very polite to me!

Perhaps I should remind you that all these comments arose when I was asked to explain how a gas regulator worked.

I replied that it was not necessary to have a detailed knowledge of how they worked but what was necessary was an understanding of how they could be fault.

I am sure all the ex-BG people have an idea of how they work.

Tony

namsag said:
Or is he just a simple employee and not the boss of a company as he makes out.

i have long suspected this and some of his posts point to it quite obviously. but, unlike tony, i really dont care and dont want him to prove it by supplying his national insurance number or blood type or some such nonsense

Agile said:
Another ex-BG being negative and not very polite to me!

Perhaps I should remind you that all these comments arose when I was asked to explain how a gas regulator worked.

I replied that it was not necessary to have a detailed knowledge of how they worked but what was necessary was an understanding of how they could be fault.

I am sure all the ex-BG people have an idea of how they work.

Tony

another fawning reply to the BG hating crew tony?

i dont really need reminding how it all started tony, but the reason why you think it started isnt the same reason i think it started.

and, yes thank you, i do have an idea how they work.

Perhaps you have forgot that you said you knew this from age of twelve and all we have asked you to do is explain it .. And thats where your lack of knowledge comes in again me and nickso worked for centrica and before that i worked for British Gas .... BG is an exploration company and does not work in domestic properties

From the age of 12 I believe he was in training for working for the BBC. perhaps the govenor he knows about is in the form of 'alright govner?' :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back