Guitar players

Sponsored Links
petewood said:
David E said:
Malmsteen's technical ability is second to none.

Heresy, what about Brian May?

4 people got together once to form a group, 3 were friends and they asked a bass player to join who became just as good.

2 of these people had a unique so far never to be seen again to produce some fantastic stuff but the 4 off them together seemed to click and produced hit after hit

Brian May and Freddie Mercury certainly were a unique combination as were the 4 together and they perfected what they were trying to achieve

No more than 2 days go by without you hearing a Queen hit in some form if thats success than i think they achieved it but it's the other stuff that is on the albums which is just as unique.

I like anything and anything different but their stuff stands out a mile.

Take Freddie Mercury away from Brian May and you see the difference something is missing for him to produce anything as good.

Freddie said:
Take Freddie Mercury away from Brian May and you see the difference something is missing for him to produce anything as good.

Yes I agree, I went to see "Queen" with Paul Rodgers earlier this year and they were a bit dissapointing. In fact the Bad Co & Free songs came over the best in my opinion apart from a couple of May solos. but if you consider that Brian May wrote 1/2 Queen's songs and played guitar on all of them you have to admit he is a superb musician.

I suppose a good test of skill and greatness would be how many of todays guitarists could easily play other types of music be it Jazz, Rock, Classical , Blues etc that is the mark of a true musician being able to play anything decently.

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
I suppose a good test of skill and greatness would be how many of todays guitarists could easily play other types of music be it Jazz, Rock, Classical , Blues etc that is the mark of a true musician being able to play anything decently.

But Brian May can and has but you would have to listen to the albums for that stuff.

Trouble is PeteWood Freddie Mercury couldnt be replaced and when you went to see Queen and Paul Rodgers you were only seeing half the group.

One thing about Queen is that they achieved everything they set out to do and much much more.

They never got involved in politics and other crap to make a noise to further theirselves, they just produced music and you liked it or you didnt, so their success was purely down to music unllike some others.

I would just like to add that I have been playing for about 15 years and will soon be adding a fifth chord to my repertoire.

petewood said:
I would just like to add that I have been playing for about 15 years and will soon be adding a fifth chord to my repertoire.

I am sticking to my air-guitar because i dont want to let on my secrets of achieving the notes nobody else can, also my slick wrist method is highly secret :D

Freddie said:
But Brian May can and has but you would have to listen to the albums for that stuff.

Trouble is PeteWood Freddie Mercury couldnt be replaced and when you went to see Queen and Paul Rodgers you were only seeing half the group.

One thing about Queen is that they achieved everything they set out to do and much much more.

They never got involved in politics and other rubbish to make a noise to further theirselves, they just produced music and you liked it or you didnt, so their success was purely down to music unllike some others.

Very true! But whatever happened to John Deacon?

Hopefully he decided against continuing when Freddie died as a mark of respect!

countygardens said:
But whatever happened to John Deacon?

He rightly decided that Queen wasn't Queen without Freddie and declined to do any more work with the other 2.

I think he's fitting fascias and guttering in Slough. :D :D

countygardens said:
Freddie said:

They never got involved in politics and other rubbish to make a noise to further theirselves, they just produced music and you liked it or you didnt, so their success was purely down to music unllike some others.

Very true! But whatever happened to John Deacon?

John continued up untill 1996 when they released their last record a tribute and all about Freddie--- only the good die young ---i think it was called--then he said he was retiring for good--he came out a few years back to tell Robbie Williams that he aint good enough when he was living it up when somebody said he may replace Freddie after doing a single with the remainder--besides that he has 30 million in the bank and is always on holiday--he was offered to join them recently on tour but declined

Leo Kottke

Al DiMeola

Leo Kottke

Paco de Lucia

Leo Kottke

John McLaughlin

Leo Kottke

Stefan Grossman

Leo Kottke

Les Dudek

Leo Kottke

Joe Pass

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke

Is this massive bump from The Shed Lover allowed? I got admonished for doing this once, by The Shed Lover himself!

Sponsored Links
Back