Carlos Santana
Jimmy Page
John Williams
Bo Diddley
John Lee Hooker
Jeff Beck

Oh, and Frank Zappa....

To name but a few.....

Of course not one of these is fit to hold the plectrum of the master....er, Bert Weedon of course. ;)

Sponsored Links
I see where you're coming from Freddie. The thing is, although The Edge plays a simple style, hes an expert with an echo and I think that sets him apart from others.

I like all kinds of music and there are hundreds of great players, but some stand out from others, for me personally. Like, John Frusciante's solo work is far better than the stuff he does with the chili peppers, like "look on" which has an amazing solo bit in the middle.

I'm thinking of buying a banjo, but I dont know if Id ever live it down.

Sponsored Links
ms2004 said:
I see where you're coming from Freddie. The thing is, although The Edge plays a simple style, hes an expert with an echo and I think that sets him apart from others.

I like all kinds of music and there are hundreds of great players, but some stand out from others, for me personally. Like, John Frusciante's solo work is far better than the stuff he does with the chili peppers, like "look on" which has an amazing solo bit in the middle.

I'm thinking of buying a banjo, but I dont know if Id ever live it down.

My mate bought a banjo called a Blue Grass Banjo cost him 2000 pound -- never seen him since :eek: and he aint an in-bred either ;)

poshman said:
top marks for freddie for mentioning peter Green
Another victim of drugs just like Hendrix and many many others who didnt make it, luckily Green and Clapton and a few others lived to have another bash and Peter Green still tours now.

For those who dont know who he is--he was the guitarist with Fleetwood Mac in the early days and penned some of their greatest hits but acid wrecked his head for many years.

Does anyone remember Mike Bloomfield, played with Dylan, Band etc, died early 80s from the usual causes. Superb blues guitarist

Freddie said:
poshman said:
Another victim of drugs just like Hendrix and many many others who didnt make it, luckily Green and Clapton and a few others lived to have another bash and Peter Green still tours now.

For those who dont know who he is--he was the guitarist with Fleetwood Mac in the early days and penned some of their greatest hits but acid wrecked his head for many years.

i saw him about 3 years ago and if you ask me, he should have stayed in 'retirement'.

petewood said:
Freddie said:
poshman said:

i saw him about 3 years ago and if you ask me, he should have stayed in 'retirement'.

Why Pete?? was he bad?? i know he went loopy loo with the acid--some people cant take it and i think it completely fried his brain, but the stuff he did in the 60's is the classic stuff you hear today but i know he wasnt well? untill recently

Here's a link, that Matt bloke from Rogue Traders plays guitar in a band. :eek:

That's probably why he still works for the Beeb, but I can see some of you are a teensie bit embarrassed about slagging him off now ;)

Sorry meldrew's_mate, but you appear to have forgotten to put the link in.

Freddie said:
Why Pete?? was he bad?? i know he went loopy loo with the acid--some people cant take it and i think it completely fried his brain, but the stuff he did in the 60's is the classic stuff you hear today but i know he wasnt well? untill recently

I really love his early stuff, Green Manalishi and all that. I went to see his Splinter Group in Nottingham and I thought it was awful. This was shortly after he had 'risen from the dead' as it were. It was self-indulgent rambling guitar stuff that went on and on. They say he had to re-learn to play the guitar after his illness but I think he should have concentrated a bit more on his writing.

On the plus side, he was on a double bill with John Mayall and his latest Bluesbreakers. This was brilliant. He had a fat american guitarist called Buddy Whittington who was superb. Whereas Peter Green had roadies handing him a different guitar every two minutes this Whittington guy stuck with a battered fender for the whole gig and produced sounds just as good. Sadly Mayall's voice isn't what it was but he must be about 70 by now.

Sponsored Links
Back