Stefan Grossman

Leo Kottke

Les Dudek

Leo Kottke

Joe Pass

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke

Finally, some true virtuosos, but for out and out outrageous technical ability you lot need to check out Alan Holdsworth. The guy's unreal!

Sponsored Links
How the hell this thread has got this far without anyone mentioning Steve Vai is beyond me.

That guy is a guitar god.

And if you are talking bass players then you can't get much better than Billy Sheehan.

As a guitar teacher I am often asked this question. It is difficult to say, as it largely depends on how you define ‘best’. Are we talking technical ability or musical ability? Just because someone can play all the scales at a breakneck speed, can they combine them into a song? And will that song be any good? How do you define ‘good’? Most popular? Is popularity a measure of goodness?

A criticism often levelled at classical musicians is that they are technically excellent, but they are really just robots with no emotion and they do not know how to compose or improvise. And yet a relative learner does not know ‘rules’ and techniques and just goes with the feeling – after all music is meant to stimulate emotions.

For instance, many mentioned on here (Vai, Malmsteem etc) are technically unbelievable but are in no way as popular as Kurt Cobain or Noel Gallagher who are (relatively) awful technically but are immensely popular.

So what about the most influential guitarist, then? It depends on how far you want to go back. Non-classical guitar started from the African slaves in the southern USA, but it was a while before it became mainstream. From the old blues players like John Lee Hooker and Robert Johnson, certain Anglo-Saxons risked the accusations of playing “Black Man’s Music” and took it to a wider audience: we get Buddy Holly, Scotty Moore (Elvis’ guitarist), Bill Haley. Onwards and more mainstream: Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Keith Richards.

Rammstein ......playing with fire shooting from gas jets off their Guitars ..lol

Sponsored Links
wedge69 said:
And if you are talking bass players then you can't get much better than Billy Sheehan.
Chris Squire
Jack Bruce
John Entwistle
Roger Glover

Don't shout at me but what about Lindsey Buckingham -Fleetwood Mac for those who are uneducated! :D Love Hairyjon

kendor
Mary Hopkins... eh she she was maid in a disney fillum shurely ..lol .lol...lol..lol

Moz said:
kendor
Mary Hopkins... eh she she was maid in a disney fillum shurely ..lol .lol...lol..lol

uh.....that would be poppins, mary.....mmmmjust a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..... :LOL:

mlb3c said:
Moz said:
kendor

uh.....that would be poppins, mary.....mmmmjust a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..... :LOL:
Ah, those were the days my friend! :)

swelec said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/music/sites/maryhopkin/pages/biography.shtml

just for moz

sorry ...i peeked....i remember ...the song anyway...those were the days my friend, i thought they'd never end...da da da da da da da da da da da da da life we choose, we'd fight and never lose, those were the days or yes those were the days......da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da
da da da da da da da da da da da da da....those were the days oh yes those were the days :!: wow....thanks -even if it werent meant for me :LOL: :oops: :LOL:

Nice link Swelec hope it wasn't just for Moz! Mary's songs bring back many happy memories of my teenage years! Old or what?
Please don't wake me up too late
Tomorrow comes and I must not be late! :) Hairyjon

Sponsored Links
Back