hallway lights (sos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
iv been doing up my house and removed my switchs and wrote on the wall what goes where then her in doors decides to do some painting.i have a two way switch down stairs and a 1 way switch up. the light down stairs works fine . but it does not work upstairs and all the lights upstairs no longer work can anyone help ?

Sponsored Links
wickham1966 said:
iv been doing up my house and removed my switchs and wrote on the wall what goes where then her in doors decides to do some painting.i have a two way switch down stairs and a 1 way switch up. the light down stairs works fine . but it does not work upstairs and all the lights upstairs no longer work can anyone help ?

Do the cables run it conduit as singles or is it wired in pvc twin and earth

wickham1966 said:

obviously you have the wires mixed up. use a multimeter to find out what cable does when then you can re-wire it form that

yai46 said:
wickham1966 said:

Do the cables run it conduit as singles or is it wired in pvc twin and earth[/ they are pvc twin and earth

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you have a 2gang switch down and a 1gang up, controlling the same light?
Twin + earth or 3c+e?

Spark123 said:
Do you mean you have a 2gang switch down and a 1gang up, controlling the same light?
Twin + earth or 3c+e?
yes 2 gang down 1 gang up i have 5 wires 1 yellow 2 reds 1 blue 1 black

In which light switch are these wires? If all 5 wires are in the single gang light switch, wire as follows:
With the 3c+e cable, wire the switch upstairs the same as the switch downstairs. Now connect the red wire into L1 and black to L2 (p.s. the black should have a red sleeve to signify switched live). All earths to b.box.

Spark123 said:
In which light switch are these wires? If all 5 wires are in the single gang light switch, wire as follows:
With the 3c+e cable, wire the switch upstairs the same as the switch downstairs. Now connect the red wire into L1 and black to L2 (p.s. the black should have a red sleeve to signify switched live). All earths to b.box.
both up and down the 2 gang switch works on the light down stairs but i cant get upstairs to work

The 5 wires you refer to are in which box, single gang up or double gang down?

You need to check how the 3c+e is connected in the bottom light switch. Please can you say which colour goes to L1, L2 and C. Please ignore the other gang which is working.

Spark123 said:
You need to check how the 3c+e is connected in the bottom light switch. Please can you say which colour goes to L1, L2 and C. Please ignore the other gang which is working.
downstairs red goes to com yellow goes to L1 blue goes to L2

Connect the top light switch as follows, red from 3c+e to C, yellow to L1 and blue to L2.
Connect the 2c+e red in with the yellow to L1 and black in with the blue to L2.(The black should have red sleeve to signify it is switched live.) Hopefully there should now be light :D

Spark123 said:
Connect the top light switch as follows, red from 3c+e to C, yellow to L1 and blue to L2.
Connect the 2c+e red in with the yellow to L1 and black in with the blue to L2.(The black should have red sleeve to signify it is switched live.) Hopefully there should now be light :D
thanks i wil try it fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back