Halogen bulb replacement trouble

Is that because these overheat?

Is this a relatively simple task? Or is their a lot to consider compatibility and fitting wise?

Not entirely - All that rubbish will make it difficult to get the fitting out and it will tumble down through the hole.

The swap to GU10 simply means that rather than the mains cable going to the 'transformer' then on to the 12v light, the mains cable goes direct to the GU10 fitting.

Sponsored Links
So I tried to twist the chrome bezel off and whilst it sort of spins, it doesn't seem to come loose. Think I'm going to have to take the whole thing out just to change the bulb. But thinking, as was suggested, maybe this would be a good time to switch them to gu10 if it's as simple as it looks/sounds.

Would something like this be the direct replacement for what I have?

https://www.toolstation.com/fire-rated-cast-ip65-gu10-downlight/p11096

Or is it a little more complicated than that?

Just had a look at the other one from the loft and looks like it's cabled a little different in that, there's two mains power cables going into the power supply rather than just one like the other light.

Edit: just realised this is probably because the lights are linked, I think this one is the middle of the three .

20210912_184332.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Think I'm going to have to take the whole thing out just to change the bulb.
well…the lamp is enclosed in a can, so removing the light from the ceiling still will not give you access to the bulb!
It might give you the chance to discover how the bezel comes off though!

If/when you change to mains downlights the Toolstation downlight you linked to is the sort of thing you need. The main criteria will be to select one that needs the same hole size as the old ones, or you’ll have to enlarge (not too difficult) or reduce (almost impossible) the size of the hole.

Just had a look at the other one from the loft and looks like it's cabled a little different in that, there's two mains power cables going into the power supply rather than just one like the other light.

Edit: just realised this is probably because the lights are linked, I think this one is the middle of the three .

View attachment 243946
Yes. When you change to 240v lights, just run a short length of mains cable from the junction box to the new downlight.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back