Hanging a new door in an old frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I've got a couple of doors to hang. I had to get them made to measure as we have FLB doors throughout and I couldnt find anywhere that sold stock 21" and 23".

Anyways, they *almost* fit. I need to take about 1/8' of an inch off either side. However, the old frame isn't quite true on the handle side. It's about right at the bottom but in the middle and top of the door its very tight to the frame. The door has been squared in the frame but the frame isn't quite plumb; probably a couple of mm out tops.

I was wondering what is the best way to get the 2mm clearance down this side? I don't have an electric plane.

Sponsored Links
It takes a few years to be good at hanging doors and it is one of the things that will stick out like a sore thumb if not correctly hung.

Best get a chippy in.

Andy

Electric planes can be somewhat vicious in the hands of the inexperienced.....do you have an ordinary smoothing plane (sharp!) in your posession?
(Forget about sanding down this amount of material).
John :)

Electric planes can be somewhat vicious in the hands of the inexperienced.....do you have an ordinary smoothing plane (sharp!) in your posession?

Yes, I've just had to hang a door recently and take off about the same as mentioned here. It's not something I've done much lately so it was a sharp smoothing plane for me. Didn't take much doing. Electric planers are great for rapid stock removal, and that's the trouble with them!

Sponsored Links

Yup I have one. I was wondering if its best to hang the door square and plane accordingly/rebate hinges a bit more on one side or hang it square to the frame. The frame really isn't out by much.

Yes, I've just had to hang a door recently and take off about the same as mentioned here. It's not something I've done much lately so it was a sharp smoothing plane for me. Didn't take much doing. Electric planers are great for rapid stock removal, and that's the trouble with them!

I have just hung loads of heavy fd30 fire doors a right pain in the arse them heavy things. I used a electric planer and used a orbital sander to finish it off.

You've had the doors made to fit, that wouldn't have been cheap, just get a good carpenter joiner in to hang it.

Why can't you answer the question he is asking instead of the question you think he should have asked?

Whats your problem man? I think he give out good advice if the doors cost a lot of money to make. I have butchered many doors in my time.

You've had the doors made to fit, that wouldn't have been cheap, just get a good carpenter joiner in to hang it.

Why can't you answer the question he is asking instead of the question you think he should have asked?

Whats your problem man? I think he give out good advice if the doors cost a lot of money to make. I have butchered many doors in my time.

But then, how do people learn? Not as if I'm going to take the plane straight to the door. I'll have a good practice first on some offcuts to get the technique and pressure right.

I'm happy rebating etc. I just didn't want to view the hanging from the wrong side! If it was a square frame then I wouldn't have even asked!

Dear Wabbitpoo, the fact Pertinky is asking the questions he/she is asking suggests that he/she is not entirely comfortable nor experienced enough to hang the door in question regardless of how little has to be taken off. Sometimes it is better to get a trade in especially when the person giving the advice is in the trade and has vast experience of correcting cock Ups made by the less experienced Diyer. £35 for hanging is cheaper than having the door re made.

Did our solid oak ones by routing them down to the correct width and height.

Take your time and it will be fine!

Practice cutting the hinges into an old 3 by 2 and practice till you get it right. Sharp chisel is the way forward!

Do yo still require instruction on how to fit these two doors? ...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back