Hardwiring of Built Under Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post! I'm currently having a double under oven put in and the installer has plugged it into a normal plug socket behind the oven, and assures me this is ok. I thought it would need its own spur with a separate accessible switch, especially as I won't be able to access the plug socket once the installation is finished.

I know all appliances are different, this is the installation manual which doesn’t expressly say not to use a standard 13A plug, but a lot of the wording is over my head!

https://portal.bsh-partner.com/TCcu...o0pdmdb---syZ&UMOBID=wdgrnUecdcso0pdmdb---syZ

Is the installer right or should I insist on it being hardwired etc?

Cheers,
Bert

Sponsored Links
According to the Screfix website this oven uses 4.9kW.

I am no sparky, so hopefully one will turn up, but my calculations say that this requres around 21.3 amps, so a 13A plug is insufficient, and probably quite dangerous

I would get him back, or better yet get someone in who knows what they are doing!

I have had the same issue on a 2nd hand standalone cooker, ended up burning my hand on the plug when the fuse went.

I can see nothing in the link other than how to use the oven.

However, as far as I can tell from searches the oven is 4.9kW and if so should be on its own circuit - not spur.

There will be a rating plate somewhere on the oven which will state if this is so.

There will be a rating plate somewhere on the oven which will state if this is so.

yes- discovered that mine said that it should be hard wired in, and what size cable etc should be used. It was right above the connectors, so someone obviously ignored it when they wired up the flex and plug.

I imagine that yours is probably the same

Sponsored Links
They seem to be fairly generic instructions that rely on the competence of the installer to know what set up is needed with regards to wiring.

I imagine that they have a number of ovens with varying power requirements in their range

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back