Hire tools, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am starting a tool hire firm based in derby, aimed at the DIY market. This is not advertising as I have left no business details. What I am after is what the DIYer would consider hiring, at the moment I have the larger items such as cement mixers and brick breakers but wanted to know from the experts (you) what would be the best items to hire out. Many thanks in advance for the help and happy DIYing

Sponsored Links
Bit surprised that you've already started the business but just doing the market research now!

Anyhow, in the past I have hired;

Carpet cleaner (many times)
Cement mixer
Whacker
Tree stump grinder
Mini-platform
Chainsaw
De-humidifier

Good luck!

I haven't started the business yet, I have a list of tools that from my DIY experience would be required but wanted to find out from people what they might (as potential customers) want. Thanks for the reply. Kev

Sponsored Links
I have looked into ladders and scaffolding, there are too many regulations around them. They have to be formally inspected after every rental etc. Health and safety is a big priority for me and no one will get hurt in any way with our products so I have avoided any working at heights apparatus but thanks for the input.

I have looked into ladders and scaffolding, there are too many regulations around them. They have to be formally inspected after every rental etc. Health and safety is a big priority for me and no one will get hurt in any way with our products so I have avoided any working at heights apparatus but thanks for the input.
Be prepared to lose a lot of business.

Definitely mobile towers if you can do them.....if you are doing chainsaws expect them to come back almost wrecked every time :eek: (Not sure what the legal implications are either). Extended reach hedge cutters will always be out in summer.
Core drills, demolition hammers, acrow props - and if you can stretch to a mini digger that will prove popular.
John :)

Thanks for the comment, I know I will lose a lot of business but I cannot put a price on doing things properly and I believe I cannot effectively carry out safety checks to the highest degree on ladders etc, so although it will reduce my customer base its a hit im willing to take.

John, thanks for that, I have looked at mini diggers, not on the list for the start up but will be buying one in the future. Scaffold towers are hard to store (we are limited due to using a 20 foot storage container), chain saw has been out (not rented) to friends but obviously they take more care of things. Many thanks again for the reply. Kev

John, thanks for that, I have looked at mini diggers, not on the list for the start up but will be buying one in the future. Scaffold towers are hard to store (we are limited due to using a 20 foot storage container), chain saw has been out (not rented) to friends but obviously they take more care of things. Many thanks again for the reply. Kev

The problem with only having one mini digger or one tower, chainsaw, etc is that the first time a customer wants something but it's already out, then they go back to HSS or Jewson who have much larger stock.
Sounds like an expensive game to get into, and I wish you luck, but you're probably going to have to increase your stock and storage quite quickly to remain competitive.

Oh yes very expensive!!!!

Should be lucrative though. I sell tools already so gaining extra stock isn't a problem (except mini diggers, the postman and couriers complain about delivering them!). Thanks for the reply and I hope to build up 3 of each item within the first 6 months depending on the frequency of rental. I currently have one of each item.

If you go for stone cutting saws such as the Stihl TS400 series, keep loads of the paper air filters in stock....you can be sure that the hirer won't give a monkeys about your gear!
Pattern parts are very reasonable on ebay.
I actually supply my own fuel and insist that its used....I've had two stroke mix made from chain bar oil in the past!

Thanks for both of those replies. I do keep two stroke mix as I use it for the generators etc. I think to ensure the fuel mix is correct, I will supply the fuel also. As for the core drills, I have two sets of diamond tipped ones, 2x sds drills and a 15k brick breaker. Should cover most jobs.

Are you offering a delivery service Kev?
Just that the average Belle Minimix or vibrating plate can make a mess of the ordinary hatchback......!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back