History of the corner shop (immigration)

Sponsored Links
Or submarine
The submarine pens at St Nazaire are no longer operational.

You should refer to the original comment, not rely on Mottie's version of the comment.
Otherwise, if you want to claim asylum in UK (or more or less any other country of your choice) you need to arrive there somehow.
UK being an island, the only way is by boat.

Blo0dy hell, what a disgusting comment to make. I wonder if it's ever been brought up since, especially to his face i.e. to see what he'd say now. I'm genuinely surprised, especially in today's world, that this has resurfaced and been widely discussed on all the usual tv progs.

People sneaking in on boats isn't.
Most of us here are the result of people sneaking in on boats.
Vikings were very good at sneaking in. The Romans sneaked, then stormed in before them.
Then the Normans sneaked up on two fronts.
The original Britons sneaked away quickly to the far corners, residing in Cornwall and Wales.

Lots of sneaking going on. But we are all the result of immigrants sneaking in.

Sponsored Links
Vikings were very good at sneaking in. The Romans sneaked, then stormed in before them.
The original Britons sneaked away quickly to the far corners, residing in Cornwall and Wales.

So what?

You're referring to things that happened hundreds upon hundreds of years ago.

We can't keep framing things that we do now (and whether they're right or wrong) on historical goings on.

So what?

You're referring to things that happened hundreds upon hundreds of years ago.

We can't keep framing things that we do now (and whether they're right or wrong) on historical goings on.
How long do we have to wait for it to be OK?
If it is eventually OK, then what is the problem?

How long do we have to wait for it to be OK?
If it is eventually OK, then what is the problem?
What are you talking about? If what is eventually okay? What are you referring to?

What are you talking about? If what is eventually okay? What are you referring to?
The fact that everybody in this country is descended from an immigrant that came over on a boat

People move. Migration happens. Largely for the good. Why are people always trying to combat it?

The fact that everybody in this country is descended from an immigrant that came over on a boat

People move. Migration happens. Largely for the good. Why are people always trying to combat it?
Because UK public services are underfunded and the government has created immigrants as the 'whipping boy'
A lot of people, especially right-wingers and suckers that believe what politicians tell 'em, follow the party line.

On the massive estates near me, built in the 60's and 70's, all the corner shops (and many pubs) were run by Northern Irish people - so not immigrants - they came later and took over the shops and the pubs closed down.

It is true that migration is what has made us the people and the great nation that we are. Slow, steady assimilation of small numbers over hundreds of years.

But it's different now. The rate of population growth in recent years is massive, look:

Population 1997 (Blair) 58.3 million; 2020 (23 years after Blair) 67 million. Increase 8.7 million or 15%
Population 1974 (23 years before Blair) 56.2 million; 1997 58.3 million. Increase 2.1 million or 4%

True. My aunt traced our family history back hundreds of years to Norman roots. Hence I recognise an attempted conquest when I see one. So won't have any truck with the current swarms of low-rent invaders, here to plunder our social security, etc, etc, etc. :evil:

Do you know what prompted Eric to make that statement, on that stage on that day? He wasn't known to say such things beforehand; and do you know if he has said anything similar since?

Just looking for some context.

He was reported to have been drunk.

"I thought it was quite funny, actually," he said in October 1976. "I don't know much about politics. I don't even know if it would be good or bad for him to get in. I don't even know who the prime minister is now. I just don't know what came over me that night. It must have been something that happened in the day, but it came out in this garbled thing."

In 2004 he denied being a racist but said that his views on immigration had not changed and insisted that Enouch Powell was "outrageously brave". I can only assume that he still doesn't want people that aren't white moving to the UK.

In 2018, Clapton stated that while he knew his comments were offensive, he wasn't the racist he appeared to be onstage that evening. "I was so ashamed of who I was, a kind of semi-racist, which didn't make sense," he said at a Q&A following a screening of Life in 12 Bars, a documentary film about his life. "Half of my friends were black, I dated a black woman and I championed black music.

The old "I can't be a racist, some of my friends are black"...

Nowt wrong with folk moving here there everywhere, as you say been happening since year dot.

I could be wrong (and PLEASE don't start another round of debate re 'what is legal' it gets tedious) but I reckon you'd find many (most?) aren't against legal migration. By that I mean folk who apply to come in before coming here and wait for the outcome before travelling here.

Also, when there is a genuine emergency e.g. Ukraine, we do take people in.

What gets folks backs up is this near daily procession of boats from France. I don't need to hear about 'oh it's their right to do it though' and all that stuff, goes round in circles.

In my opinion it's not right. If these were mainly French people fleeing from a war-torn France with literally nowhere else to go and facing near certain death or torture, that would be a completely different scenario.

That's not what's happening.

Stop
The
Boats

Sponsored Links
Back