History of the corner shop (immigration)

Totally agree its not about colour it's about good people and bad people. However I think I'd feel a little uneasy walking the streets of Tottenham late at night.

I agree. I would not want to walk the streets of Tottenham either, because late in the evening it is full of crackheads. To be fair to them, although they from many different backgrounds, they don't care about the skin tone of their victims.

Sponsored Links
If there was another vote I'd want to vote to rejoin. However if the remainers and the EU won't budge on issues like immigration then I will vote out again.
Part of the issue is that many sectors have been dependent on immigrant labour for a long time, and we as a country simply don't have enough people with the right experience and qualifications to fill many vacancies - not just fruit pickers, but nurses, doctors and vets, etc. How go we tackle those shortages? No sign of doing it since 2016 as far as I can see. As to the EU - UK politicians, especially Tory politicians, have for decades seemed incapable of understanding that strength in the EU comes from forming alliances and not sitting almost alone to the right of even some of the more fascist political parties in Europe

Part of the issue is that many sectors have been dependent on immigrant labour for a long time, and we as a country simply don't have enough people with the right experience and qualifications to fill many vacancies - not just fruit pickers, but nurses, doctors and vets, etc. How go we tackle those shortages? No sign of doing it since 2016 as far as I can see. As to the EU - UK politicians, especially Tory politicians, have for decades seemed incapable of understanding that strength in the EU comes from forming alliances and not sitting almost alone to the right of even some of the more fascist political parties in Europe

Like I've always said I just want control. Any bad Eggs I want them out.. however some leftys and remainers stand up for wrong-ens having the right to stay.

I only want good foreigners..

Sponsored Links
Part of the issue is that many sectors have been dependent on immigrant labour for a long time, and we as a country simply don't have enough people with th8e right experience and qualifications to fill many vacancies - not just fruit pickers, but nurses, doctors and vets, etc. How go we tackle those shortages?
We had people to do these jobs in not-so-distant the past - in fact we led the world in such things. Why can't we now? Well, I make no apologies for repeating myself, but it's because we pay people not to work.

The British benefits system has destroyed so much human potential.

Like I've always said I just want control. Any bad Eggs I want them out.. however some leftys and remainers stand up for wrong-ens having the right to stay.

I only want good foreigners..
Occasionally, when I go to buy some apples, even though I only want good-ens (sic), I might get a bad apple in the bag.
Fortunately I have a system for dealing with that bad apple, and my system works, it ends up in the compost bin where it belongs.

Occasionally, when I go to buy some apples, even though I only want good-ens (sic), I might get a bad apple in the bag.
Fortunately I have a system for dealing with that bad apple, and my system works, it ends up in the compost bin where it belongs.

You get what I mean then Pat. and that's the way forward

We had people to do these jobs in not-so-distant the past - in fact we led the world in such things. Why can't we now? Well, I make no apologies for repeating myself, but it's because we pay people not to work.
Partly because our economy has fundamentally changed over the last 50 years, but even 50 years ago I can remember there being French and Spanish pickers working in the fruit fields in Essex in the summer months, something that Daily Mail readers living in towns these days don't seem to know about. There is also the fact that there are no longer the numbers of agricultural workers living in the countryside that there used to be - for example most of the Essex fruit growing areas are now prime commuter belt with house prices well outside of the reach of those on agricultural wages. So where are you going to get the people from? I've taken the Essex example because it's one I am personally very familiar with, but other agricultural districts have similar stories.

And the world has changed, a lot. This country now has almost full employment with the available jobs being in many cases 50 or 100 or more miles from where the unemployed are and requiring skills and experience that the unemployed simply don't have. So the ignoranti are coming up with this tosh about making the unemployed work. Well, just where? If you are on unemployment benefit you can hardly afford to keep body and soul together, let alone start looking for a job 100 miles away.

The British benefits system has destroyed so much human potential.
I think maybe 6 months on the dole would do people like you some good. I'd like to see you work out how to live on just over £80 a week, plus study for the qualifications you need for a job, plus satisfy the DWP that you are looking for and applying for jobs 40 hours a week (and if you want to study that is classed as making yourself unavailable for work - so they dock your dole). We no longer have free further education, nor do we have many colleges running night classes (one of Mrs Thatcher's little wheezes was shutting down such classes as "uneconomic") and a 6 week course treaches you nothing of use in most cases. So come on, how does someone on the dole get themselves off it, then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Partly because our economy has fundamentally changed over the last 50 years, but even 50 years ago I can remember there being French and Spanish pickers working in the fruit fields in Essex in the summer months, something that Daily Mail readers living in towns these days don't seem to know about. There is also the fact that there are no longer the numbers of agricultuarl workers living in the countryside that there used to be - for example most of the Essex fruit growing areas are now prime commuter belt with house prices well outside of the reach of those onm agricultural wages. So where are you going to get the people from? I've taken the Essex example because it's one I am personally very fimiliar with, but other agricultural districts have similar stories.

And the world has changed, a lot. This country now has almost full employment with the available jobs being in many cases 50 or 100 or more miles from where the unemployed are and requiring skills that the unemployed simply don't have. So the ignoranti are coming up with this tosh about making the unemployed work. Well, just where? If you are on unemployment benefit you can hardly afford to keep body and soul together, let alone start looking for a jonb 100 miles away.

I think maybe 6 months on the dole would do people like you some good. I'd like to see you workout how to live on just over £80 a week, plus study for the qualifications you need for a job, plus satisfy the DWP that you are looking for and applying for jobs 40 hours a week (if you want to study that is classed as making yourself unavailan]ble for work - so they dock your dole). We no longer have free further education, nor do we have many colleges running night classes (one of Mrs Thatcher's little wheezes was shutting down such classes as "uneconomic") and a 6 week cours treaches you nothing. So come on, how does someone on the dole get themselves off, then?

Lots of Italians have done very well along the Herts and Essex border. A good % of fruit farms are owned by Italian families.

Does democracy, by definition mean that things can only be voted upon once?
Brexiteers seem to think so.
(although they tend to gloss over the fact that it wasn't the first vote)

But if they are to remain consistent, having voted in borisconi and the nasty party to 'get brexit done' then that's it...

No more votes, ever...

Whoopee - a one party state!
If there were a vote tomorrow, I would anticipate a very different outcome.
I anticipate there will be another vote before the end of the decade, and the result would be different.

Because the UK will be in such a desperate state, one party (or more) will realise that the only way to rectify things would be to rejoin the EU...

And also by then a large number of xenophobic old codgers will have succumbed to nature!

So come on, how does someone on the dole get themselves off, then?
There's a big difference between those who can't work, those who won't work & those who may be inbetween jobs. I think most folk capable of independant thinking can sort out who is who.

Most folk don't have a problem with people who can't work or may be inbetween jobs, yet they are persecuted by the rules of the benefits system as if they were simply the types who won't work.

So how does someone on benefits get themselve's off? Every individual will be different & what they do will be different, but doing nothing should not be an option. Ever.

Brexiteers seem to think so.
(although they tend to gloss over the fact that it wasn't the first vote)

You'd think with smart phones we could have a weekly vote.
It would be so much easier. Wouldn't need government ; just a clocking in machine.

If there was another vote I'd want to vote to rejoin. However if the remainers and the EU won't budge on issues like immigration then I will vote out again.
Well that's a total contradiction!

The whole basis is on freedom of movement, and as always you are confusing freedom of movement within the EU with immigration from outside the EU...

What is your take that for example there are now 160,000 job vacancies in the social care industry?

And that recruitment is starting to increase from outside the EU - mainly from asia!

Rather ironic don't you think :rolleyes:

You'd think with smart phones we could have a weekly vote.
It would be so much easier. Wouldn't need government ; just a clocking in machine.
Rather a silly comment...

Although letting people have a say on issues away from election time seems to work in Switzerland...

But in the UK the ignorant right wing nutters (goaded by the right wing press) hold sway, so it probably wouldn't work here!

What for example do you think would be the result of a public vote on capital punishment?

Sponsored Links
Back