Hive install - replacing up2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I’m trying to install a hive which replaces an up2. I have wired up like for like but the heating does not operate.

There is a red and a grey wire terminated into a block behind the up 2 which I can’t help thinking should be used for something.

I terminated all wires at the thermostat with tape.

Any help greatfully received!

Rob.

Attachments

• 321384CE-1C60-4F4A-826A-DFB3678A539C.jpeg
    321384CE-1C60-4F4A-826A-DFB3678A539C.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 958
  • A8189C4E-9D91-4E78-ADBB-A893C3A753BE.jpeg
    A8189C4E-9D91-4E78-ADBB-A893C3A753BE.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,241
Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that the second photo is the original thermostat and that you have disconnected the wires at the other end. If so, I hope you can remember exactly where they were connected.

The old thermostat can't simply be disconnected as this leaves the heating wiring 'open circuit' and it will not operate, so the integrity of the circuit needs to be maintained.

1. The Red and Yellow are the two switching wires, and Blue is a neutral wire.

2. You have already traced the thermostat cable back from the thermostat to its origin, so know where the other end of it is.

3. Normally I now say take take a photo, or make a note of where the Red and Yellow switching wires are connected at their origin. As you have disconnected them, I hope that you can remember where they went.

4. Disconnect all of the wires from the cable going to the old thermostat and remove the cable and original thermostat. All other wires to the same terminals remain in place.

5. Insert a wire link between the terminals where the red and yellow switching wires have just been removed from, so that they are now electrically joined together.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Apologies as my original post was not clear!

I tried to install hive but as the heating wouldn’t work, I’ve reverted back to the original up2 set up and the photos are both the original controller and thermostat so nothing is not disconnected or taped. This is how it looks now.

The two extra red and brown wires go into a terminal block together as per the new photo and are currently unused. These are at the controller end.

I don’t know which wires are for the thermostat as I can’t trace them due to the amount coming into the main controller.

I hope this is a bit clearer.

Thanks again

Attachments

• F17B15B7-120C-42A5-A3CF-2769CABBA616.jpeg
    F17B15B7-120C-42A5-A3CF-2769CABBA616.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 575
You will see that the Dual Channel version of the Hive and British Gas up 2 are a straight swap, their terminals have the same functions, like for like. So don't worry about the extra wires behind they are just terminated there, and shouldn't be changed.

You can get around removing the original thermostat ,it by putting the Hive back in place of the up2 as before, then at the thermostat take the red wire out of L and put it in terminal 3 along with the yellow wire. Obviously the old thermostat will have to remain in place as live wires are present, but it will no longer have any control of the heating.

The only way to get rid of the original thermostat completely would be to trace the wire back to its origin and add the link as per my original post.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your help. Now working fine.

I don’t suppose you can advise where the red and yellow in the thermostat are likely to come from? I’d like to get rid of the stat and put the hive in its place.

Cheers.

Where it is connected depends upon the personal preferences of the original installer, and the layout of your property.

For a DIY'er, often the best way is to physically follow it, usually it's necessary to lift a few floorboards to do this. But there are other ways if you understand how these systems are wired. Usually there is a wiring centre located somewhere near the hot water cylinder where the motorised valve (or valves depending on your system) are connected. If the thermostat is wired back there (it usually is, but not always) and you have a single three port motorised valve, most likely one of the wires from the thermostat cable will be connected to the motorised valves white wire. If you have two port valves instead, then one of the wires may be connected to the brown wire of the motorised valve controlling the heating. If you post a photo of the connections inside your wiring centre, I may be able to advise further.

The reason I say maybe above, is because it's also possible that the thermostat is connected to the programmer instead of the wiring centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back