Hive Setup: Is it possible with my system?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have an analog heating programmer beneath my boiler (Ideal MiniS24).
There are two wires going into terminal 1 and two wires terminal 2: live input and a live out (to the motorised valves upstairs) and same with neutral.
Terminals 5 & 6 are powered out to the boiler. (attached a picture of how the system is wired)

When the boiler is turned on at the programmer, the system heats the water and the radiators. If a thermostat is on, that floor's respective radiators will warm up.
There is no separate thermostat for the water alone and there is no wire going from the valves back to the programmer.

I'd like a remotely operate heating system (like Hive) but I'd like to keep my two zones too. Is this possible with a hive setup?

Attachments

• Wire2.png
    Wire2.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 249
Sponsored Links
Do you have a zone valve for the hot water?

And yes, it is possible with a Hive and additional Hive thermostat, but the wiring will vary somewhat to the standard methodology depending on whether you have a HW zone valve.

Do you have a zone valve for the hot water?

And yes, it is possible with a Hive and additional Hive thermostat, but the wiring will vary somewhat to the standard methodology depending on whether you have a HW zone valve.

No zone for the hot water. When the boiler is on, the HW is on by default. Each of the thermostatic valves are then independently controlled by each thermostat.
Since there's no wiring between the thermostatic valves and the programmer/boiler itself, my thinking is that they can't be controlled by the Hive?

You said you have a upstairs and downstairs zone valve?

Hive is a "Zone controller" - It does not function with the TRVs; although you can now buy "hive" branded eTRVs should you wish to go down that line.

As for the zone control, if you have zone valves and they are 5 wire valves, you'd be looking to wire up something like the below (If you have PUMPED hot water - If you have gravity hot water, you need to use a different method):

wiringSchem2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You said you have a upstairs and downstairs zone valve?

Hive is a "Zone controller" - It does not function with the TRVs; although you can now buy "hive" branded eTRVs should you wish to go down that line.

As for the zone control, if you have zone valves and they are 5 wire valves, you'd be looking to wire up something like the below (If you have PUMPED hot water - If you have gravity hot water, you need to use a different method):

View attachment 168174

Thank you!
The actuators have four wires each (as you have in your diagram above) and these are located beside each other away from the boiler itself.
One part that confuses me is the live you have from Pump & Boiler, is that a live to or from the actuators & Hive(s) ?

If it's the live feed, there is no other wire going back to the existing programmer so I'm not sure how the boiler would actually powered on?

You have a Mini S24 which I believe does not need a permanent live when in “System Mode” (Check your manual, frame 27?).... As such, it would get its power from either HW calling (Hive term 3) or from either Zone Valve opening and engaging the micro switches Orange Wire.

There are alternate ways of wiring this up, but it depends on the situation and wires available... The above should work without any issues.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back