Hive vs Logic 30+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have checked all posts on this forum, and I could not find anyone in the same situation as me.

Hive model: Dual Channel
Hive Wiring: Never changed, just kept switching boilers
Why dual: Long time ago this was the only model available. I do not use and I'm not planning to use water preheating.
Problem: With the new boiler I have no idea how to wire the hive to it

Hive wiring (always worked, never changed):

Previous boiler wiring (worked perfectly fine with hive wiring posted above):

New boiler ideal Logic 30+ combi (Room Stat/Timer is attached but not not connected on the other end):

I am not an electrician, so instructions over hints would be very useful :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
That's single channel Hive wiring, because:

1) There is a link between terminals L and 1. The dual channel Hive has the link to live made internally

2) terminal 4 is the heating control with dual channel, and terminal 3 the single channel, and your wire is in 3.

Capture.JPG

Anyway, if you say it has been working like that, then it is a single channel. The Hive N & L supply remains. Remove the link between L and 1 and the two black wires from the "boiler room stat / timer" go in terminals 1 & 3, it doesn't matter whicy way around.

But really, using green / yellow (earth) wires for live wires is not good.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have checked all posts on this forum, and I could not find anyone in the same situation as me.

Hive model: Dual Channel
Hive Wiring: Never changed, just kept switching boilers
Why dual: Long time ago this was the only model available. I do not use and I'm not planning to use water preheating.
Problem: With the new boiler I have no idea how to wire the hive to it

Previous boiler wiring (worked perfectly fine with hive wiring posted above):

New boiler ideal Logic 30+ combi (Room Stat/Timer is attached but not not connected on the other end):

I am not an electrician, so instructions over hints would be very useful :D

I’m not sure why you Line, Neutral and possibly switch live are installed using circuit protective conductor? Very bad practice.

1) There is a link between terminals L and 1. The dual channel Hive has the link to live made internally

2) terminal 4 is the heating control with dual channel, and terminal 3 the single channel, and your wire is in 3.

Ok, so this is dual channel, but someone wired as if it was one (maybe it was the boiler I had before those two). Let me rewire as instructed for dual and will let you know.

Ok, so this is dual channel, but someone wired as if it was one (maybe it was the boiler I had before those two). Let me rewire as instructed for dual and will let you know.
post a pic of your hive receiver unit, if you actually have a dual channel that wiring wouldnt work

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 08.47.28.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 08.47.28.png
    726.8 KB · Views: 100

View attachment 225125

Anyway, if you say it has been working like that, then it is a single channel. The Hive N & L supply remains. Remove the link between L and 1 and the two black wires from the "boiler room stat / timer" go in terminals 1 & 3, it doesn't matter whicy way around.

But really, using green / yellow (earth) wires for live wires is not good.

ok so single channel has 1 (common) and 3 (heating on)
since I have a dual channel, there is no common, so what should be the wiring for dual?

Something is wrong here. You post a photo of a backplate wired up as a Single Channel Hive and tell us:

Then you post a photo of a Dual Channel Hive receiver, which would never have worked on the backplate with the wiring connected as you show. I refer you to the diagram from the Hive manual in my earlier post. The 'Heating On' wire of the Hive Dual Channel is connected to terminal 4. and you don't have a wire in terminal 4!

So I believe that either there is something you are not telling us, or if not, this is a wind up.

If it is a Dual Channel Hive, the N & L are straightforward. And then the switched live terminal from the boiler (that has one of the black wires in) goes to Hive terminal 4. They are the only 3 wires needed. No links required. The other room stat terminal remains empty as shown in the diagram from the Logic+ Combi manual below.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thank you so much!

Then you post a photo of a Dual Channel Hive receiver, which would never have worked on the backplate with the wiring connected as you show. I refer you to the diagram from the Hive manual in my earlier post. The 'Heating On' wire of the Hive Dual Channel is connected to terminal 4. and you don't have a wire in terminal 4!

This is why I started this post with: "Never changed, just kept switching boilers". Now I can see it shouldn't work but it does. I only added this, just in case I'm not aware of something, or there is a valid reason why was it set up like this.

So I believe that either there is something you are not telling us, or if not, this is a wind up.
No wind up :) this is why I posted photos, I just need help how to wire this.

If it is a Dual Channel Hive, the N & L are straightforward. And then the switched live terminal from the boiler (that has one of the black wires in) goes to Hive terminal 4. They are the only 3 wires needed. No links required. The other room stat terminal remains empty as shown in the diagram from the Logic+ Combi manual below.
- Ok, so L & N are ok.
- I have removed the link
- Cable from terminal 4 goes instead of one black wire
- what about the second black wire? Which terminal should it go to? 2?

This might help to explain the difference between Dual Channel Hive and Single Channel Hive terminals

0x56.jpg

Thanks, but all I need to know is which terminal (1,2,3,4) needs to be connected to the room stat in order to control the heating. I am not planning to control the water temp. Based on the diagram posted above it looks like terminal 4 should go to one of the room stat connections, and terminal 2 should go to L yes? but then what should be connected to the second room stat in/out? Thats the piece I'm missing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back