Hive vs Logic 30+

I thought I'd answered that?
The N & L are straightforward. And then the switched live terminal from the boiler (that has one of the black wires in) goes to Hive terminal 4. They are the only 3 wires needed. No links required. The other room stat terminal remains empty as shown in the diagram from the Logic+ Combi manual below.

230V N&L Supply to Hive N&L

One wire from Dual Channel Hive terminal 4 goes to the room stat terminal as highlighted in Red, the other room stat terminal shown in Purple isn't connected as per the diagram from the manual.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Now I can see it shouldn't work but it does.

The only way it would have worked would be if the Dual Channel Hive was set to 'Gravity Operation' in which case, the Hot water terminal 3 is also made live when the heating terminal 4 is made live. It fools the Hive into switching the hot water terminal on whenever the heating is switched on.

In which case for once 'Two wrongs do make a right'

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The only way it would have worked would be if the Dual Channel Hive was set to 'Gravity Operation' in which case, the Hot water terminal 3 is also made live when the heating terminal 4 is made live. It fools the Hive into switching the hot water terminal on whenever the heating is switched on.

Correct, this is probably what happened. Like I said, I never wanted to control the hot water with hive so this setting was probably taking care of this. Thank you!

You can tell if it is in gravity mode, the top light will be blue instead of green.
That is the only way it would have worked that I can think of.

Receiver activates, but heating doesn't turn on. I am not sure how would it work with only one cable in the room stat.

Attachments

• EDAE42AB-DACC-409A-AAA2-51DD67E702B8.jpeg
    EDAE42AB-DACC-409A-AAA2-51DD67E702B8.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 8EC36D34-F919-4780-9A62-F8D5D3B7209A.jpeg
    8EC36D34-F919-4780-9A62-F8D5D3B7209A.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 07E9276B-967D-4799-AD8A-33E6F304467E.jpeg
    07E9276B-967D-4799-AD8A-33E6F304467E.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
you need to go into setup on the nest and set it to fully pumped it is set to gravity HW

Try moving the single wire in the room stat terminal to the other room stat terminal. I seem to think from memory the diagram in the manual might be wrong.

The room stat wiring has two connections, one is a live and the other a switched live. You don't need the live because that is provided from inside the Hive, as per the diagrams provided by @bernardgreen

Irritatingly Ideal don't label which is which for you.

Correct, this is probably what happened. Like I said, I never wanted to control the hot water with hive so this setting was probably taking care of this.

With that boiler you would not be controlling hot water or the water temperature from the programmer
You need to sit down and look at the boiler specification and what the dual channel Hive does
I would in the first instant remove that link from L to 1 as your dual channel does not need that link
Then I would deal with yellow and green sleeve that confuses the issue big time.
Once done, then I would even bin the hive and fit a suitable programmer that would utilise the open therm connections on that boiler.

Try moving the single wire in the room stat terminal to the other room stat terminal. I seem to think from memory the diagram in the manual might be wrong.

The room stat wiring has two connections, one is a live and the other a switched live. You don't need the live because that is provided from inside the Hive, as per the diagrams provided by @bernardgreen

Irritatingly Ideal don't label which is which for you.

Thank you so much! It works!
Now it is time to replace those cables with proper coloured ones ;)

Excellent, and my apologies. I had forgotten that I had come across this several years back, when I was asked to troubleshoot an installation someone else couldn't get working. I can't understand why Ideal don't label the terminals. Mind you if they followed their own diagram they would be wrongly labeled anyway ;)

Thanks for posting back with the results, this thread may help others in the future.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back