Holidays are coming. Holidays are coming. So are roaming charges.

Also:

Useful to know:

"European Commission
3 hours ago

Need help? 112 is your life-saving number!

February 11th is #112day – the European emergency number that's accessible across the EU, free of cost.

Call 112 and reach an ambulance, a fire brigade or police services in times of need. Even if you're unsure of your exact location, the operator can help you by locating you and passing the information to emergency authorities.

Join us in raising awareness about its existence."

More on
Useful to know if you’ve been living in a cave for the last 20 odd years. You have been able to use 112 in the U.K. for about that time too.

Sponsored Links
Hello, just a heads up. It looks like you’ve not had any recent usage in the UK, so in 2 week's time roaming in the EU and selected destinations will be charged from your balance. Terms apply. For more info: giff.ly/FairUse

So does that mean that if I had used it more frequently, I wouldn't be getting charged for roaming?
Yes. Because you have not used it in the U.K. for a while, they think you have bought it solely for use abroad which is not what it’s for. Just make the odd call on it in the U.K. now and again and you'll be fine. The sim is in the U.K. at the moment, isn’t it?

When I was in France last Nov/Dec EE sent me a text indicating that I could use my phone to make and receive calls as if I was in UK without any additional charges. It's contract, not PAYG. When I got home I found they had stung me for £26 roaming. After a lot of aggro and numerous calls I got it refunded and they said there wouldn't be any more roaming charges for me. Good result, but you have to fight them or they will sneak charges in.

Yes. Because you have not used it in the U.K. for a while, they think you have bought it solely for use abroad which is not what it’s for. Just make the odd call on it in the U.K. now and again and you'll be fine. The sim is in the U.K. at the moment, isn’t it?
For sure.
It left the country once but I didn't use it. Every call and text I have made has been in the UK.
I probably use it once a month when my Smarty SIM does not have access to the network. If I don't use it, I make a call or text to keep it from being cut off.

Sponsored Links
It's not as easy or simple as it used to be.

Never even needed to think about the phone, let alone do anything

The phone companies have the power to loot their customers with charges that have no relation to costs.

The EU has both the power and the will to protect its citizens.

Brexit Britain doesn't.

Useful to know if you’ve been living in a cave for the last 20 odd years. You have been able to use 112 in the U.K. for about that time too.
Try 30 years.

Apparently 911 also works in the UK now.

1 April 1995 is when 112 was introduced here.

I logged into my GiffGaff account and this is what it said regarding roaming.

Screenshot_20240212-151746.png

It’s the same. I don’t need to think about it or do anything. Never did. Do you?
It's not the same though is it.

Its not the end of the world to sort out, but it is a conscious thing to have to do.

Before, I just took my everyday phone. Didn't do anything else at all.

EE salesman could have been lying ... but I was told when I was looking to change my SIM last year, that if I did I would lose my EU roaming service and will have to pay extra if I travel. Although, I still think it'd be cheaper ...

EE salesman could have been lying ... but I was told when I was looking to change my SIM last year, that if I did I would lose my EU roaming service and will have to pay extra if I travel. Although, I still think it'd be cheaper ...
As well as my regular number on ID which runs on the 'Three' network, on the same phone I also have a PAYG e-sim from Lyca mobile which runs on the EE network. Both give inclusive EU roaming. If EE works for you, why not change to a Lyca sim? https://www.lycamobile.co.uk/en/sim-only-deals/

Why do you have and need an extra sim ?
Because I can! Seriously, I walk my dog regularly in Thorndon country park. In the middle of the woods, service on the Three network is often non-existent. A friend who I walk with is on EE and they get a signal. I thought I’d just try it out as my phone has the option of two networks. It’s only a PAYG e-sim and I only started off with a fiver credit. I still have £4.68 left. Lyca were the only ones that offered a PAYG e-sim. If I wanted to use it I can use the PAYG but if I top it up, I can buy a 30 day bundle for a fiver. Not bad value actually.

IMG_0920.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back