So, do we book a holiday or don’t we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
we should be okay, shouldn’t we?
It depends if you can stomach all the other fuss that goes with it, i.e. quarantine at both ends would kill it for about 85% of travellers. Travel used to be 'fussy' at best, what with airport security etc. There will be added niggles now with European travel.

Clacton-on-Sea is looking appealing for those darn the Sarf-East.(y)

Well, Mrs Mottie says we won’t be going abroad unless it’s safe to go to the villa but I’m hoping not to - all it will be is a bloody working holiday as nobody went out at all last year so I can imagine it to be thick with dust. Her brother can have a go at it this time!

We've booked and paid for a foodie weekend mid-March in Hampshire but that can be moved and I’ve reserved a decent hotel in Jersey in mid-July as a surprise for Mrs Motties birthday but that’s pay on departure and can be cancelled up until a week before we go. I’ll chance booking the flights if things open up. Luckily, with BA, you can postpone flights and get a credit valid until 2023. Oh yeah, we have switched our 2020/2021 group new year holiday to this new year - we were refunded last year and the owner has reserved this year for us but said to hold up with paying a deposit yet until they know what’s happening. Hopefully things next Christmas will be different to this one!

Planning to spend 2-3 months in the EU this summer and am hoping to do some Brexit boat shuffle deliveries as soon as lockdown ends.

as far as I can see, it will be negative test requirement. I don’t know if people are tracking the data, but we are all pretty much pre-lockdown 2 infection rate levels now. And R while being impacted by vaccinations is well below 1. The test will be to see what happens when schools and hospitality re-opens.

Sponsored Links
A lot will also depend upon financial risk and how much you are prepared to lose or bother with the haggle. Anyone planning a long stay of course, needs to weigh up the risks of being trapped somewhere they don't want to be.

Depends whether you want to risk coughing up £1750 for a compulsory fleapit hotel upon your return, plus possible loss of income whilst doing so.

No-one knows more than a few days in advance which countries will be added to the 'red list', and events so far have shown us that it could just as well be a political decision rather than a scientific one.

Airlines are of course still touting flights knowing full well that they will be cancelled, whilst the reclaim procedures are often far from easy to navigate and lengthy.
It's all about keeping a certain amount of cash flow for them.

I have never left the UK (since school at least) unless I have been paid to go, for work. I'm one of those rare people who likes holidaying in the UK, so none of this bothers me really that much. I have a tourer caravan, parked in my drive and that makes it possible to have very short notice time away, where and when it suits us/ the covid situation.

Depends whether you want to risk coughing up £1750 for a compulsory fleapit hotel upon your return, plus possible loss of income whilst doing so.

No-one knows more than a few days in advance which countries will be added to the 'red list', and events so far have shown us that it could just as well be a political decision rather than a scientific one.

Airlines are of course still touting flights knowing full well that they will be cancelled, whilst the reclaim procedures are often far from easy to navigate and lengthy.
It's all about keeping a certain amount of cash flow for them.

not my experience BA refunded me within a week.

this virus is a very long way from being over, that coupled with governments becoming addicted to imposing rules and controlling others; I wouldn't build my hopes up by booking anything just yet.

If anything will be UK break for us. Good opportunity to explore unfamiliar parts (to me) of the country.

I think a lot of people will be looking at U.K. holidays. My place in the iow has suddenly had a load of bookings, not much left now.

this virus is a very long way from being over, that coupled with governments becoming addicted to imposing rules and controlling others; I wouldn't build my hopes up by booking anything just yet.
Wait until the 'health passports' are imposed...

ID cards by another name, and eventually to became a passport to live a reasonable life...

Oh of course they won't be 'compulsory', but you won't actually be able to do much without one!

The UK is one of only a few countries not to have ID cards, most European countries do, either compulsory or optional.

Planning to spend 2-3 months in the EU this summer and am hoping to do some Brexit boat shuffle deliveries as soon as lockdown ends.

as far as I can see, it will be negative test requirement. I don’t know if people are tracking the data, but we are all pretty much pre-lockdown 2 infection rate levels now. And R while being impacted by vaccinations is well below 1. The test will be to see what happens when schools and hospitality re-opens.
Vaccinations have made a negligible contribution to reducing R so far. That may start to change but so far it's just the lockdown that's keeping R low.

We're in a group that probably could go on holiday thanks to vaccinations, but probably no foreign holidays this year. Probably something in the UK booked fairly late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back