How best to attach this light fitting to the ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this light fitting second hand and it didn't come with any fixings. As you can see from the photos, the screw holes are not on the sides of the ceiling mount unit so buying the usual metal bracket for this wouldn't work. Should I screw the fitting directly into the ceiling using Rawl plugs and No More Nails as a safeguard? The light fitting is metal and therefore heavy, I don't want it to come down and destroy my ceiling rose! IMG20210613201936.jpg IMG20210613201948.jpg IMG20210613201959.jpg IMG20210613202031.jpg
IMG20210613201936.jpg
IMG20210613201948.jpg
IMG20210613201959.jpg
IMG20210613202031.jpg

Sponsored Links
The fitting is obviously second hand and would have come with a metal bracket that attaches to the ceiling with two screws to attach the fitting to the bracket.

If the fitting were intended for direct attachment to the ceiling, the holes would not be in the sides of the rose.

I'm not sure if you could find one that fits as an aftermarket item, but it might be worth a quick look on eBay or Amazon.

Maybe put some additional holes in and use self tapping plaster board fixings. If you have access to the void above a noggin of wood and some long screws would also work.

I used one of these
LDMC11E.JPG

it made life so much easier, the rules say "559.6.1.5 Fixing of the luminaire" ceiling rose should hold 5 kg, one shown no different, but so much easier to fix the ceiling rose to ceiling then the slide to the chandelier then lift up and slide in, with mine I had to shave off some of the plaster rose to let it slide in. These
ASPCR2000.JPG

are cheaper, but the first one has the hook and can be white, brass or chrome so metal effect looks better. Look here for example

Sponsored Links
As it's heavy, don't hang it off the plaster. Hang it off the joists above, or add a trimmer/noggin if there isn't one.

How old is your ceiling, and how long has that plaster rose been there?

How high is the ceiling, how tall are you, and how far does the lamp hang beneath the ceiling?

I can't see how ever plaster board can take a 5 kg load, ceiling roses always connect to beams. Well they should, I noted when a light was moved in mothers house for a hoist the electrician seemed to connect to the plaster, kept mouth shut as did not want the job.

Motorbiking has answered you question.

Get to it from the room above.......If there isn't a noggin ( timber fastened between the joists ) fit one securely and screw in to that.
Job done and no guess work.

I used one of these
LDMC11E.JPG

it made life so much easier, the rules say "559.6.1.5 Fixing of the luminaire" ceiling rose should hold 5 kg, one shown no different, but so much easier to fix the ceiling rose to ceiling then the slide to the chandelier then lift up and slide in, with mine I had to shave off some of the plaster rose to let it slide in. These
ASPCR2000.JPG

are cheaper, but the first one has the hook and can be white, brass or chrome so metal effect looks better. Look here for example
I agree with ericmark but I suggest adapting the fitting to use a BLACK Maestro device, which makes installation - and removal for cleaning - much easier. ( https://www.cordsncables.co.uk/acat...hrome__Antique_rustic_aged_rings___loops.html )

(i.e. Ditch the existing top "fixing", attach the chain to a hook in the Maestro plug and wire the chandelier to the plug. )

Of course, it will be necessary to fix the Maestro base to a joist or to a noggin.

I can't see how ever plaster board can take a 5 kg load,

Also remember that the dynamic load can be considerable more than the static weight of the lamp.

Dynamic load occurs when the ceiling is moving up and down due to people bouncing around in the room above.

The main difference between Maestro and the cheaper plug in ceiling roses is the thread that takes the hook or pipe. There are other methods this upload_2021-6-17_12-0-8.png raise and fall arrangement shows how the weight can be spread. And a ceiling rose designed to hide the raise and fall upload_2021-6-17_12-3-30.png will often have a simple hook or eye hidden by the cover, upload_2021-6-17_12-6-4.png More examples here but personally I think worth extra £20 to do all at floor level then lift and plug in, I have had metal covers on lighting become live where a chain has become unhooked and wires have pulled out.

I bought this light fitting second hand and it didn't come with any fixings. As you can see from the photos, the screw holes are not on the sides of the ceiling mount unit so buying the usual metal bracket for this wouldn't work. Should I screw the fitting directly into the ceiling using Rawl plugs and No More Nails as a safeguard? The light fitting is metal and therefore heavy, I don't want it to come down and destroy my ceiling rose!View attachment 236384 View attachment 236385 View attachment 236387 View attachment 236388 View attachment 236384 View attachment 236385 View attachment 236387 View attachment 236388
From the depth of the ceiling fitting, about 15mm?, it looks to me like you can locate a beam (or joist) and drill a 10mm hole close to the side of the beam for the lead. The 2 screws can be at least 20mm in from the edge of the beam, which with say No. 10 woodscrews will give plenty of strength.

Two problems.

No bracket.

A plaster ceiling rose.

You could go to Homebase and try and find a cheap light fitting with a similar base/bracket.

By some miracle someone may have had the sense to fit the plaster ceiling rose directly over a joist or noggin, and you can use long screws.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But of course, they don't do they - so have a poke around with a long thin screwdriver first, then you can start work fitting a wooden noggin.

Looking at the age of that plaster rose, you will have a lath and plaster ceiling - so if there is no joist or noggin, you may be able to screw to a lath, as the fitting doesn't look too heavy.

You can find a lath with a long thin screwdriver - try not to screw too near the edge of the lath.

Laths can be very dry and prone to splitting, so use the thinnest screws you can to start with.

Mind you, you did say the fitting IS HEAVY, so you may not want to do this.

How well is your existing plastic pendant fixed to the plaster rose?

Last edited:
As it's heavy, don't hang it off the plaster. Hang it off the joists above, or add a trimmer/noggin if there isn't one.

How old is your ceiling, and how long has that plaster rose been there?

How high is the ceiling, how tall are you, and how far does the lamp hang beneath the ceiling?

Don't know the answer to most of those because I moved in in September. I'm presuming the ceiling rose has been there a long time and painted over a lot as the paint is thick. I'm only 5'5 and the lamp will hang less than a metre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back