Pendant screw light convertor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new pendant light that I want to fit but the existing light fitting doesn't appear to be compatible.

The light I wish to fit has a metal bar to be screweded into the ceiling with rawlplugs and then a cap with screws on the side which fit into the metal bracket. However the existing light mount is at the centre of a ceiling rose and has a large threaded cap on it.

Is there someway of converting the new light fitting to work with the screw cap already attached to the ceiling?

TIVbHVi.jpg

Sponsored Links
Usually that existing bit is removed, the wires put in connecter blocks and the new bracket fixed to the ceiling, usually using the two existing holes, providing they are good fixings, the bare wires need earth sleeving on them.

Yes, you take the old light down before you fit the new one! Make a note of where the wires go before disconnecting it!!!

Edit: Read THIS before you start , and make sure the power is off at the fusebox if you do decide to attempt this job yourself.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Take a picture BEFORE you disconnect anything …………. it all helps

DS

And be aware the wiring in your photo will be live even when the light is not lit. You must isolate at your fuse box main switch before starting work.

Wow so many replies so quickly!

And thank you for that wiring diagram explanation.

I've attached photos below of the new fitting which also includes the chocblock that has already been referred to.

I think where I'm confused is that, the existing screws in the recessed fitting currently in the ceiling don't appear to be dead centre. So I'm guessing I wont be able to use the existing holes to attach the new pendant holding bracket?

When I've looked at it earlier today I've made sure the electricity is off for the hole house, just in case.

qAUcDSv.jpg

AIYnemw.jpg

ErITeIr.jpg

L6pWEiE.jpg

Those connector blocks are total rubbish, you will struggle to fit one wire in each terminal. You will need to buy a 5Amp connector strip to replace the one in the fitting and as a place to put the 3 red wires. The new lights live and neutral wires appear to have white sleeving on, make sure you mark which is live and which is neutral, this is important if the bulbs have a screw in cap.

The screw holes in the old light will be a standard 2" apart, this should fit the new bracket which has some adjustment. If you need to move the bracket to centre it, make sure you are screwing into wood for a good fixing, the screws will need to be long enough to go through the plaster rose, the ceiling, and into the ceiling joist.

In your first picture I noted how earth wires aren't sleeved with a green/yellow sleeving and nor is there a screw to tighten them all together for earth integrity.

I must admit I had to look again, the light makes it look like the terminal is hollow. Yes to some earth sleeving though!

It looked like the slotted screw was missing from the earth terminal in your old fitting. It doesn't matter either way as you won't be using it for your new light!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back