How can a boiler be "At Risk" and perfectly safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to have the Baxi gas boiler serviced and the Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate renewed on a property I let, so I called a local Gas Safe engineer. He duly arrived and carried out the service, but he was alarmed to find a CO/CO2 ratio FGA reading of 0.405. At this point he turned it off, and attached a notice saying that it was unsafe, and of course the certificate was not issued. I was told to call Baxi and book a serviceman's visit as he suspected a faulty fan or gas valve, which I immediately did, paying a considerable sum in advance covering a call-out, repair work and all necessary parts.
This was done and the Baxi man arrived, repeated the test and found the FGA readings to be well within safe limits, so he packed up and left - a very expensive half-hour visit.
Meanwhile the tenants have been greatly inconvenienced during a cold spell, including a young lady who is expecting; I still have no certificate and so I still cannot legally allow them to use what now appears to be a perfectly safe boiler.
Help...! What do I do - get a third independent certificate, with a third bill for the same job? Where do I stand here, and is there any point in contacting Gas Safe for instance?
Alec.

Sponsored Links
Gas Safe are largely toothless in this situation I'm afraid, as your original engineer exceeded the safety expectations rather than falling below them, so they'll give you a free inspection of your installation but they won't do anything about the engineer.

It might be that your original engineer's flue gas analyser had gone wrong - it can happen, albeit rarely. Get someone else in to do the service and LGSC, and you could try to reclaim your money from the first guy if the third one agrees with Baxi (assuming you've paid the first guy)

Thanks, Andrew,
I hadn't realised that Gas Safe might even give a third opinion on the installation, although that doesn't really he as they obviously wouldn't issue the Safety Certificate.
No, thank goodness, I haven't paid the first engineer. I did send him an email asking whether his analyser had ever been recalibrated. He replied that wasn't necessary as he cross-checks using two instruments. Mind you, he doesn't have a printout from the other one...
Alec

So if both his analysers are wrong I wonder what he does? I wouldn't let him in the house again, sounds like a muppet whose second analyser might be in his head

Sponsored Links
Don't Gas Safe conditions require an analyser to have a current calibration certificate for analysers? OFTEC conditions certainly do.
h New analysers turn themselves off if calibration warnings are ignored.

I should imagine someone with that kind of attitude has a very old analyser from before the days of automatic shutdown

I did send him an email asking whether his analyser had ever been recalibrated. He replied that wasn't necessary as he cross-checks using two instruments.
That information should certainly be of interest to gas safe. It would be well worth sending them a copy of that email.

I have very little confidence that they will follow up on it though. They are pretty useless at things like that but hey ho. It's worth a try!

It is muppets like this that bring the reputation of this industry down.

Last edited:
He should still have given you a certificate boiler AR or not.

When you say he carried out a service and then found the ratio too high do you mean he stripped and cleaned it? If so the ratio can be up to 0.008 temporarily due to disturbance.

Forget that, just read again 0.405 sheesh

When you say he carried out a service and then found the ratio too high do you mean he stripped and cleaned it? If so the ratio can be up to 0.008 temporarily due to disturbance.

Forget that, just read again 0.405 sheesh
Minimum CO around 12,000 PPM..

If the boiler was installed after 2013, is the Benchmark complete Corazones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back