How can I check an external gas pipe for a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had a new gas line run on the outside of my house (to meet the 22mm regulations) and I am getting increasingly paranoid it is leaking. Yes I know how stupid that is but once i get something into my head...

Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can check for integrity/leaks? Can gas plumbers do it easily?
Thanks,
Inigo

Sponsored Links
What makes you think it is leaking?

Get a registered gas installer in to carry out a tightness test.

Sponsored Links
National grid,transco, s g n same thing. Cheers anyway dan. Anyway call that number if you think you have a gas leak its free, if they find a leak then call out a gas safe engineer to fix it.

You WILL have a leak when copper recycling brigade see that pipe :D

I do worry about someone nicking the copper pipe!!!

Sorry guys, i have no normal reason to think it is leaking, just my discomfort at having a pipe outside my house! I know the argument that any leak will just disperse into the air - but with how tight things are right now a giant gas bill is nearly as bad!

Inigo if you suspect a gas leak i repeat my above advice. Call 0800 111 999. They will send someone out to tet your gas pipework for free. If they find anything wrong then you'll have to call out a gas safe registered engineer to trace and repair it. You're better safe than sorry.

Is this pipe after the meter?

If so, turn off all gas appliances, take an exact gas meter reading.

Leave all gas appliances off for an hour of so and check the reading again.

Hi,
I had a new gas line run on the outside of my house (to meet the 22mm regulations)
Inigo

What regulation is this ?

Might be handy to know if I also wanted to rip off unsuspecting members of the public

That would work if you had a MASSIVE leak

Terrible advice. If you smell gas - PHONE THE NUMBER!

But I do think the OP is being paranoid. Why is the o/s pipe likely to leak any more than his internals are?

Where did he say he could smell gas?

Geez..some people.

He doesn't, thats why |i said he is paranoid!

But you have described, on an open forum, a methodology which is not appropiate. You have to assume that somebody will read it and utilise it as a test method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back