How can I check an external gas pipe for a leak?

Where did he say he could smell gas?

Geez..some people.

He doesn't, thats why |i said he is paranoid!

But you have described, on an open forum, a methodology which is not appropiate. You have to assume that somebody will read it and utilise it as a test method.

I'm not a gas fitter, or work with gas.

It's my opinion, I'm entitled to it, I've seen it being used and is, in my opinion a viable way of checking what the op is worried about.

If the pipe is leaking, the meter will move, even by a tiny amount.

Sponsored Links
But if the OP is paranoid, the meter will move a tiny amount even if there is no leak. Much better to just call 0800 111 999

It's my opinion, I'm entitled to it, I've seen it being used and is, in my opinion a viable way of checking what the op is worried about.

What complete and utter bollo-ks

If a gas leak could put a perceptible movement on a meter you should be worried; and not just about your gas bill.

Never in 13 years have I seen a gas meter even twitch at a non-open pipe style leak.

Stick with wwhat you know please. Not what you think.

Where did he say he could smell gas?

Geez..some people.

He doesn't, thats why |i said he is paranoid!

But you have described, on an open forum, a methodology which is not appropiate. You have to assume that somebody will read it and utilise it as a test method.

you are right about one thing, you have an opinion and you can spout it to who you want, the only thing is that it is a poor opinion, in my opinion, which you will have to agree im entitled to, but do tell where you have seen this test method used

Sponsored Links
Frankly tat kind of opinion should be firmly inserted in the orifice opposite to whence it came, with extreme prejudice.

And I am not in the mood to be argued with this evening. :evil:

gaswizzard";p="2324042 said:
Frankly tat kind of opinion should be firmly inserted in the orifice opposite to whence it came, with extreme prejudice.

I disagree.

What with? I think you would find he IS a bit perturbed at the moment!

xr4x4 does have a point. :mrgreen:

If we were to take a standard domestic gas supply with 9 meters of 22mm and a U6/G4 with a 4mb leak over two minutes gas leakage would be around 0.001 m3/hr , quite easily detected on a G4 test dial over an hour , likewise an imperial U6 would show 0.035 cu/ft hour.

Don't shoot the messenger. :LOL: :LOL:

Still never seen that happen in the field.

Exactly due to the fact we carry out a TT and are never with the meter (domestic) for more than 5 minutes. :mrgreen:

I think I need some of what your drinking as i've gotta be sad working out gas leakage at this time on a sunday night. :LOL: :LOL:

xr4x4 does have a point. :mrgreen:

If we were to take a standard domestic gas supply with 9 meters of 22mm and a U6/G4 with a 4mb leak over two minutes gas leakage would be around 0.001 m3/hr , quite easily detected on a G4 test dial over an hour , likewise an imperial U6 would show 0.035 cu/ft hour.

Don't shoot the messenger. :LOL: :LOL:

But how many times have you had someone operate an appliance while you're trying to carry out a TT. Now just imagine the scope for it over an hour.

FiremanT";p="2324051 said:

I disagree.

What with? I think you would find he IS a bit perturbed at the moment!

Funny man.

I stopped watching the post and will continue to do so.

I've got better things to do than listen to people with a bad attitude have a go at me.

I can't imagine you speak to your customers like that, so why now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back