How decent people can be.......NOT!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was driving towards a busy junction today. As i approached it, all the cars in my lane, which were going forward were going around a car that had stopped about 10 metres from the traffic lights at the junction in the middle of the lane. I stopped to get out to find a heavily pregnant lady sitting in the car.

I asked her if she was all right to which she replied that she had run out of petrol (daft yes, but then she was pregnant so excuseable i suppose). I started to push the car to the side of the road, and was helped by a taxi driver, who promptly got in his car and buggered off. Luckily i always carry jerry cans of fuel on board my van for the tools we use so i was able to put some fuel in her car for her.

I couldnt believe that no-one had stopped to help her. I then asked her how long she had been sitting there for. I was gobsmacked when she told me 20 minutes and no bugger had stopped to help her. All the cars had just continually driven around her. God knows how many would have gone past her at that junction, but it would have been in the hundreds

what a wonderful world we live in. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Brilliant! I'm sending my wife out now with a cushion up her front... should get enough fuel for the rest of the week! :D

I jest Thermo, well done sir.

I dunno maybe im quite sexist but im sure if i'd broke down I wouldn't just sit there quite arrogant to expect someone as helpful as you just to start pushing. Im assuming she hadn't phoned for assistance.

Being pregnant makes you no less capable of dealing with the situation and if it does then dont drive.

If someone is clearly struggling e.g out the car and trying to wave assistance then im sure there arent many people who wouldn't stop at least i hope not.

Funny you should mention this - I'm knocking a wall out with my builder at the moment, anyway he had to pop out to pick up a pad stone for the RSJ...

Whilst out he found an old guy on a mobility scooter, stuck at the side of the road with the scooter tipping over at nearly 40 degrees - nobody else bothered to stop to help this guy out...I now understand why the Who hoped they'd die before they were old...just shows even rock stars don't always get what they wish for!

Sponsored Links
I dunno maybe im quite sexist but im sure if i'd broke down I wouldn't just sit there quite arrogant to expect someone as helpful as you just to start pushing. Im assuming she hadn't phoned for assistance.

Being pregnant makes you no less capable of dealing with the situation and if it does then dont drive.

If someone is clearly struggling e.g out the car and trying to wave assistance then im sure there arent many people who wouldn't stop at least i hope not.

Erm...don't want to disagree but if a woman is visibly preganant she shouldn't be trying to push her car off the road!! :eek:

If the junction is a busy one she should also not be wandering around in the middle of the road?

Erm...don't want to disagree but if a woman is visibly preganant she shouldn't be trying to push her car off the road!! :eek:
I agree, i never said she should.

If the junction is a busy one she should also not be wandering around in the middle of the road?

I agree, however there's a difference between seeking assistance and wandering around in the middle of the road.

should have join AA or RAC THEY WOULD HAVE PUSHED FOR HER ;) or was she to mean to join them :)

should have join AA or RAC THEY WOULD HAVE PUSHED FOR HER ;) or was she to mean to join them :)

Classic advert...

"Want some help mate...?"

"Thanks!"

"...you should've joined the AA!"

Thermo, thanks for going a long way to restoring my faith in human nature.

I would have done the same, 'cept for the fuel thing (I only carry spare diesel in my own motor).

I agree, you should not be pushing cars when pregnant... :eek:

Should've started pushing herself. Face it, she needs the practice!

Last time I ran out of fuel I simply put the car into first gear and wound it off the road with the starter motor. I'm amazed by the number of drivers who don't know this is possible on most cars (not automatics). It seems that most people learn to drive but never go a single step towards understanding how a car works. Complete dummies. Anyway, I wouldn't have pushed. I'd have said "first gear, turn the key, bye!" ;)

And what about those dog walkers who think letting there dogs crip all over the pathment outside my driveway is ok, i will tell ye o dog fowlers it wont be the dog i will be a rubbing its nose in the dog crip, i once saw a invalide in a wheelchair in the town shopping area wiping off dog crip which was all mushed up all over the wheels and brakes trying to wipe it off with an ankicheffe i wish i could of caught this fowler i would of launched is dog and him into orbit.

Top marks Thermo, you did the right thing! She might have have got shunted down the road and lost her baby, to the selfish bitter twisted society we live in?? :evil:
All those that passed by in their own selfish world will get their "reward" later on when fate evens things out!

Well done!
;)

PS. I have been to many countries where people bend over backwards to help a stranger in need of help (not here).

its just beyond me. to answer the other questions, yes she had phoned for help, and it was on the way, but being heavily pregnant she couldnt really stand for too long, and she was terrified of being rammed up the backside. Anyway its all immeterial, i just cant believe people stay in their cosy little worlds and do sod all to help others. Its not hard really is it??

Sponsored Links
Back