How do I split internal mains wiring off for 2 purposes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a bathroom switch on the outside of the bathroom wall. I want to add a plug socket near by. What can I buy that will allow me to split the cable off for two separate purposes? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the switch outside the bathroom is a lighting switch, firstly it may not have a neutral, secondly you cannot add a 13 amp socket to it as cable and fusing will be incorrect. so you could by some life insurance or get an electrician to look at what you want to achieve, it maybe easier than you think.

Nothing.

You need to get a competant electrician to install an extra socket off your socket circuit.

1) What purpose does the bathroom switch serve and what is the rating of the MCB/fuse of that circuit?
2) What purpose will the socket serve and what current rating will it require?
3) Does the bathroom switch have a neutral conductor?

Sponsored Links
What should a reasonable quote be from an electrician to add a plug socket next to a light socket AND create wiring to an extractor fan? Not actually to install the socket or fan, I can do that.

What should a reasonable quote be from an electrician to add a plug socket next to a light socket AND create wiring to an extractor fan?
Hard to say without knowing what you have in place, where the feed is coming from and do you intend to supply materials?
Not actually to install the socket or fan, I can do that.
Are you also going to fill in the appropriate documents with installation details and your test results, so the building controls inspector can view, after you have notified your work?

Think the op means making the hole, fitting the duct part and leaving the fan in situ awaiting wiring.

Nothing illegal there and in fairness who likes core drilling or bolstering a 125-150mm hole, fitting external cover vent and making good?

As for the socket, you need to understand the sub floor cabling and the nearest socket to spur on add to the ring from, then there is the issue of getting the cable or cables from a to b (surface, trunking, under floor, lifting carpet and boards.

Fans are teed in from the main lighting circuit, and need a 3 pole isolator. So the and 3e cabling required. If the space above the room is an open loft, an ok job. If the space is a habitable room then double the time.

Think the op means making the hole, fitting the duct part and leaving the fan in situ awaiting wiring.
You may think that but would be useful to know for sure, what the OP does intend to do. Sounds to me like they want cables in then see you later ;)

haha, yeah, it was hopefully a request for cables in... I was quoted £190 for the job, and to be honest, I was really taken aback. For something that I would imagine would take no more than 2 hours, £60 an hour?! (+ a few materials?)

...by the way, the extractor fan (new) has just two wires inside, black and white. The booklet doesn't specify which is L or N. Which would it be, and why use black and white?

I'm assuming white = live black = neutral and if wired the opposite way around, the motor will spin in reverse.

I'm assuming white = live black = neutral and if wired the opposite way around, the motor will spin in reverse.

In many countries, black is live...
Over here, black used to be neutral.

Are you going to guess, or is there maybe an instruction leaflet, or a crafty marking near the terminals saying L and N?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back