How do we save NHS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4893874.stm
Shouldn't things be getting better in the 21st century?
Why does the NHS have to be in debt at all?
Is there really a simple solution, like cutting thousands of jobs? I think not.
It makes me furious that jobs are lost and the service we recieve should suffer, and dont get me started on dentists :evil:

Sponsored Links
start by only serving those that are actually uk citizens see how much we save

Slogger said:

Couldn't agree more. If we went to hospital in any other country we'd have to pay or prove our entitlement to treatment (E111 or whatever it's called in Europe or insurance in USA).

Brightness said:
Slogger said:

Couldn't agree more. If we went to hospital in any other country we'd have to pay or prove our entitlement to treatment (E111 or whatever it's called in Europe or insurance in USA).

I wouldn't consider moving to another country without learning the local language (even American!).

Sponsored Links
We could also start charging daft b****rs in their forties that hurt their arms doing bike jumps.... ;)

Tony Blair in 1998: Everyone will have NHS dentist by 2002, Lies again

Tony Blair in 1997: We have 24hrs to save the NHS. Lies again.

Gordan Brown in 2004 budget: Pumped £billion into the NHS without reform. Lies again.

Does anyone believe them anymore?

masona said:
Tony Blair in 1998: Everyone will have NHS dentist by 2002, Lies again

Tony Blair in 1997: We have 24hrs to save the NHS. Lies again.

Gordan Brown in 2004 budget: Pumped £billion into the NHS without reform. Lies again.

Does anyone believe them anymore?

I never did, he is a conman, thats why his nickname is Phony Blair. :LOL:

But why does everything have to get worse all the time?
We should be able to improve the NHS and yes we should be able to tend to the sick and needy whatever race, religion, colour, creed.
Why do the people in charge only see 'cutting back' as the 'way forward'? when the NHS was created it was a huge step change towards looking after everyone and since then every improvement seems to be destroying it.
I dont want to be sidetracked by 'immigration issues' the NHS can cater for everyone, my recent experiences with hospitals and the healthcare system in general is that the frontline staff are amazing people, achieving fantastic results under extreme pressure, some are from foreign lands and take some effort to understand, but they still perform an admirable job.
The rot seems to come from higher up, where has all the recent money injected into the NHS gone?

Dellsmp said:
But why does everything have to get worse all the time?
We should be able to improve the NHS and yes we should be able to tend to the sick and needy whatever race, religion, colour, creed.
Why do the people in charge only see 'cutting back' as the 'way forward'? when the NHS was created it was a huge step change towards looking after everyone and since then every improvement seems to be destroying it.
I dont want to be sidetracked by 'immigration issues' the NHS can cater for everyone, my recent experiences with hospitals and the healthcare system in general is that the frontline staff are amazing people, achieving fantastic results under extreme pressure, some are from foreign lands and take some effort to understand, but they still perform an admirable job.
The rot seems to come from higher up, where has all the recent money injected into the NHS gone?

Good question. My mrs works at the NHS, her dept. is being cut back continually despite the fact they are under-staffed already. Last year the management there spent £100,000 on refreshments at meetings!

Dellsmp said:
Well said........too many chiefs and....."degree nurses".....don`t get me started :evil: I`m just a Dinosaur Labour voter :cry:

It maskes me mad when nurses and staff are being laid off in the NHS because of lack of money and Gorden Brown comes on the telly pledging £8bn to education in Africa. Dont recall seeing that when they wanted out votes. If we stopped funding all of these other countries me might have a bit in the pot to sort this country out first. :evil:

Too many of the wrong type of staff, the extra layers of management should be given bog and scrubbing brushes to help rid us of MRSA..

Pensions costing to much, particularly for the higher paid.

Stuck in a time warp with outmoded practices.

The true cost of selling land and hospitals then renting from the private sector is coming home to roost. Criminal way to finance public assets. Some earlier PFI's had a 25% mark up for the backers.

Political interference by inept career politicians.

I have worked in the NHS as a nurse for a number of years and have sadly seen it's decline. I admit I have witnessed shameful waste of money in that time. However, we have to take into consideration many factors. Just to mention a few:

The NHS was first formed in 1948

The average life expectancy was then 67 years.
Today life expectancy if estimated to be in the mid 80's.

This leaves us with more elderly people to care for today than back in 1948, the members of our society that needs more medical attention than most.

Advancement in medicine and medical machinery now saves the lives of many babies who would have died in 1948. The medical technology is expensive and these babies who are now surviving are spending many weeks in Special Care Baby Units - again very costly.

If you think about the changes in medical equipment and the cost of medications over the years, nothing comes cheap.

I think the NHS could be saved if more money was put into it, but where does the money come from.

I have for some time now believed that aa NHS tax should be added to all tobacco products and alcohol. I don't know, maybe only a few pence, but that money should be put into the NHS kitty. The vast majority of patients receiving NHS treatment have illnesses and diseased directly related to smoking and alcohol consumption.

Good point DD, a tax on practices and pastimes likely to cause unneccessary health care had you not smoked, drinked etc. Interesting, could be a few grey areas around sports and activities tho.
I still think Britain is a rich enough country that there is some way the NHS could be properly funded and a health utopia created.
It needs someone in power to have the kind of vision that created the NHS in the first place, and apply it to todays problems.

American levels of taxation + welfare state expectations = total *******s

We are getting exactly what we pay for, a second rate service

Put your hands in your pocket and pay for it like they do in France, Germany, Sweden and all the other countries with good state systems. It's not rocket science, it's called "Income Tax"

Sponsored Links
Back