How much do handymen usually charge and what's a good name?

I trade using my own name rather than anything like south coast handyman and it hasn't done me any harm. My "corporate image " could probably be better , some of my jeans and tops are patched and the van could do with a tidy. I used to have magnetic signs but nowadays don't advertise as all of my work is exsisting regular customers and word of mouth.
Money wise my charges are flexible shall we say , starting at £15 per hour and rising for some customers. my other half is quite savvy with the accounts so that we are both self employed , meaning household income is two personal allowances £21,00ish before we need to look at tax , and if something can be claimed we do. That might sound bad but I had thirty odd years on PAYE and never claimed a thing so now I do quite happily.

Sponsored Links
There's nothing wrong with tax avoidance whatsoever; it's a perfectly legal pastime. As to my corporate image, I used to be a computer consultant, and went to see clients in a suit, till the day I realised they employed me for my skills not my looks, so went casual after that. Now I'm in the building game, I hardly every wear smart clothes, so maybe this post is a bit of a wake up call.

We all find our own way, and I suspect we all look back and think we could have done it better.

Remember you're only as good as the worst job you do. I was going to get someone who was highly recommended to do my kitchen and bathroom until this man sawed through a pipe in my friend's house and tried to blame my friend for the pipe being there. He was supposed to come back to repaint the stained ceiling but he's not made contact for 2 years. A reputation ruined for a morning's work

Sponsored Links
Remember you're only as good as the worst job you do. I was going to get someone who was highly recommended to do my kitchen and bathroom until this man sawed through a pipe in my friend's house and tried to blame my friend for the pipe being there. He was supposed to come back to repaint the stained ceiling but he's not made contact for 2 years. A reputation ruined for a morning's work
absolutely things go wrong for the best of us, but its how you deal with those problems that count and stick in peoples minds

That's me out of the running then.:mrgreen:

Don't tell me you don't wear a waistcoat and bowler to work :eek:
28456b7eeded00f795b16b4d7dc53cf4.jpg

I charge £20 an hour. People will pay it if you bother to turn up on time(or at all!). Around here trades of all sorts are very unreliable. Most people are wary of any trade, concerned they are going to get conned, burgeld or messed about, so if you turn up on time, smile, wipe your feet and do what you say you will do, you'll get plenty of work, believe me.

Why would you use customers tools,unless, perhapsa gardener with a lawnmower. But what happens if it breaks down during your work?

If you can get away with dayrate (i.e. pay as you go) style billing then it allows you a few extras mornings/afternoons here and there but it comes at added cost to the client who won't like to think they are paying for you to get ready to work, and all that involves.

Clients generally feel happier and more secure with a fixed cost until they are trust the builder, so it may be better talking over the complete job (as complete as it's possible to assess at the time) and quote one big price to the client before staring. You can always talk about extra costs at the end if there are any. I know an old fella that only works on dayrate and he finds himself in a pickle trying to justify the 'surprise' monster bill at the end. Not good if you want to build rapport.

Because that's what "handymen" do and charge accordingly. Especially those that go to work on a push bike.
Eh? I wouldn't dream of using customers tools. Plus if they had all the neccesary kit I doubt they'd need a handyman.

Eh? I wouldn't dream of using customers tools. Plus if they had all the neccesary kit I doubt they'd need a handyman.
I must remind all those widows whose husbands have left a garage full of gardening tools to all their arthritis ridden wives that are looking for a handyman to trim their bush.

Sponsored Links
Back