How to fill weathered lintel to remove water trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My house has "stone" lintels over a number of the windows. I say "stone" as I think they may be man made as they are really soft and permeable and on one I think I can see concrete in the interior where it has weathered away.

Anyway, they are useless and rain soaks through them so I am going to seal them up with Kingfisher Stormseal but my problem is that the previous owner has put a concrete angled cap on the top to try to reduce the water coming in and the lintel has dissolved underneath to the extent that there are now hollows where water and moss collect.

I have tried to fill this with clear sealant in the past but it was a waste of time as it is an irregular gap, it was really hard to gun at the right rate without making a mess and the moss just lodged in and around the sealant.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get rid of this water/moss trap (photos are of two different lintels on the house).

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Ian

Sponsored Links
I have a similar situation with a bay window. I was planning to stuff the gap between the cement and the stone with lineseed oil putty, squidged right in and smoothed over. Sealing the stone with
ae235

I haven't done it yet though. Dunno if that helps you decide!

That's an idea. I dont have much experience of linseed oil putty. The bit I need to do is hit by pretty extreme weather so I have a feeling it would dry out and crack fairly quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Grind in a slot above and install lead flashing. Will cope with any movement and keep it water tight.

Sponsored Links
Thanks foxhole. Im not sure what is behind the render - it could be stone or breezeblock. Is it OK/possible to grind into stone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back