how to find earth leakage in light circuits

These people who think they know it all, are especially annoying to those of us that do. That was on a plaque on father-in-laws desk, however the problems don't arise until some thing goes wrong. And it's not knowing what you are doing, but being able to show you knew what you were doing after some thing has gone wrong, and if some thing goes wrong, then it kind of points to you not knowing what you were doing.

And po bodies nerfect, we all make errors, and we then need to show it was a genuine accident, and not some one fiddling with things they should not be touching. So although in theroy we don't need to pass any exams to say we are an electrician, in the real world we need the bits of paper, even as a volunteer on the local heritage railway, I had to bring in my qualifications to be copied, and have to attend courses on manual handling etc. Which is a load of nonsense as if I got down the way they say at 72 I would never get up again.

In theroy I would write out my own EICR for my house if I wanted to rent it. I have my C&G 2391, so I can show I have the skill, but I wouldn't, simply as I don't have professional indemnity insurance. And the English landlord law says
“qualified person” means a person competent to undertake the inspection and testing required under regulation 3(1) and any further investigative or remedial work in accordance with the electrical safety standards;
so anyone doing the report should have been able to fix the fault. If not they should not be doing the report.

Suicide is no longer illegal, so I some one wants to play and kills them selves, does not matter if they fall off a mountain or play with electrics, that's up to them, but putting others at risk is some thing else.

It is hard to decide how much to say on a forum, don't tell some one how to repair their gas boiler and they will still try, forget about gas safe, we are in the real world, to hide behind Part P etc. Does not work, people will still try to DIY, so I feel one does need to tell people how to do things safely even if you know they should not be touching the work.

And I have seen the problem here in mid wales getting tradesmen, north wales it was easy, but not where I live now. So if you have splashed out on a insulation tester, then OK we should help you use it, or the results could be shocking.

However an electrician it seems has walked away from the job. So the big question is why? Now my son walked away from my daughters house with an earth leakage problem as he was running out of time, but he phoned me, and I returned to her house and found the problem. But if I had not been available to take over, he would not have left the house.

So we are looking at
1697728861807.png
it does not say 0.010 MΩ it says 0 MΩ, i.e. a direct short, and he was only testing with 250 volt. How do you think you can find something he missed? I agree with comments about outside lights etc, and if an electrician had not failed to find the fault, I would also be directing one in that direction, but if an electrician can't find it, how do you think you can?

Sponsored Links
Op I’m sorry but this issue has been present for 3 years which isn’t great

What does your EICR say about the installation ?

Sponsored Links
Not talking about the cert, what in particular about the CU?
2 wire connectors floating about unsupported above the left side RCD
5 black neutrals connected but zero red wires to go with them, meaning even more joints somewhere out of sight
MCBs installed with nothing connected to them
CPCs are not in the same order as the circuits
Only 6 CPCs but 7 sets of L&N
Significant amount of exposed copper on the right side RCD
No grommet strip on the holes in the back
Insulation on the brown wire to the B16 MCB looks overheated or burnt

I thought I was looking at a rather dirty red VIR core - where the conductor goes into the termination it appears mutli-stranded and tinned

these were left in hope to rewire the whole house so that we can have 2 power circuits (upstairs and downstairs) & 2 light circuits ( upstairs and downstairs)
this is for the old immersion heater which is no longer in use, the box in airing cupboard is blocked. the property has new gas combi boiler.

the rest of the points you mentioned are cosmetic and do not need intelligence to point out. However, what I am interested in , is a technical opinion that enable me to find the fault or improve my knowledge that I can share with whoever I am going to hire to sort out this issue. If you have such knowledge please share it in a decent and professional manner in the same way as many professionals, mature and decent guys in this forum who are thankfully donating thier time and knowledge to make live easy for others. If you do so I will take off my hat for you leaving your "way of thinking and your opinion in live" with you. i sincerely advise you to breath fresh air.

these were left in hope to rewire the whole house so that we can have 2 power circuits (upstairs and downstairs) & 2 light circuits ( upstairs and downstairs)

this is for the old immersion heater which is no longer in use, the box in airing cupboard is blocked. the property has new gas combi boiler.

the rest of the points you mentioned are cosmetic and do not need intelligence to point out. However, what I am interested in , is a technical opinion that enable me to find the fault or improve my knowledge that I can share with whoever I am going to hire to sort out this issue. If you have such knowledge please share it in a decent and professional manner in the same way as many professionals, mature and decent guys in this forum who are thankfully donating thier time and knowledge to make live easy for others. If you do so I will take off my hat for you leaving your "way of thinking and your opinion in live" with you. i sincerely advise you to breath fresh air.

I'll ask for the 3rd time - what does the EICR say about the installation?

or

Do we just assume you have broken the PRS legislation by not having one?

However, what I am interested in , is a technical opinion that enable me to find the fault or improve my knowledge that I can share with whoever I am going to hire to sort out this issue.

I think you have been given all of the useful information, you can be provided with, working from your photos and descriptions, at a distance. No, a rewire is no way to tackle a fault, finding the fault and repairing it is the correct way to fix it, though a rewire might be recommended, after some investigation.

The first step, is a test of the insulation resistance on the circuit, to decide whether the fault is L to E, N to E, or a bit of both. Then a quick look around, to see if there might be obvious issues, such as outside lighting circuits, which might be suffering from water ingress, plus to try to assess likely wiring routes for the next stage, which is one of disconnecting the circuit at around the mid-point, to determine if the issue is in the first half or the second half. Then quartering, with more tests and so on, until the issue is found.

I think you have been given all of the useful information, you can be provided with, working from your photos and descriptions, at a distance. No, a rewire is no way to tackle a fault, finding the fault and repairing it is the correct way to fix it, though a rewire might be recommended, after some investigation.

The first step, is a test of the insulation resistance on the circuit, to decide whether the fault is L to E, N to E, or a bit of both. Then a quick look around, to see if there might be obvious issues, such as outside lighting circuits, which might be suffering from water ingress, plus to try to assess likely wiring routes for the next stage, which is one of disconnecting the circuit at around the mid-point, to determine if the issue is in the first half or the second half. Then quartering, with more tests and so on, until the issue is found.
TBH I would have look round before applying any test voltage to the installation, some equipment does not enjoy 500v being fired into it

2 wire connectors floating about unsupported above the left side RCD
5 black neutrals connected but zero red wires to go with them, meaning even more joints somewhere out of sight
CPCs are not in the same order as the circuits
Only 6 CPCs but 7 sets of L&N
Significant amount of exposed copper on the right side RCD
No grommet strip on the holes in the back
Hardly a hanging offence, mostly resolved easily

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back