How to install and box out a beam under extension roof. (1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m going to remove an internal partition between my extension and need to stick a 152x89 beam to help support the flat joist roof.

Engineers confirmed that 152x89 is more than enough.

Do I need some sort of spreading plate or grout? How do I install it?

when the beam is in place how I will be able to box it out? Do I have so insert some batten on the beam to screw the plasterboard? How do I install them?

It`s my first beam and would be great if someone can explain the all process from the beginning to the end.

For now before removing the wall I made some sort of temporary pro as per attached photos. Hopefully is enough.

Any advise is welcomed

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20200410-WA0013.jpeg
    IMG-20200410-WA0013.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 319
Sponsored Links
How far back is that wall behind the partition you are removing and what is it made of? (The wall to the left on your pic) it looks very close on your pic

Any chance of a pic of the rafters that the partition is currently apparently supporting ( from the left wall to the partition )

How far back is that wall behind the partition you are removing and what is it made of? (The wall to the left on your pic) it looks very close on your pic

Any chance of a pic of the rafters that the partition is currently apparently supporting ( from the left wall to the partition )

That`s the blockwork wall I have to remove. The temporary prop I made look like a studwall and thought this would be enough. to support the roof. I have only started to remove few blocks

Attachments

• 20200411_171841.jpg
    20200411_171841.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 20200411_171817.jpg
    20200411_171817.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 260
Ahhhh that makes more sense!

If you post this in the builders section too there's guys in there who can advise you on the correct support you need

Good luck with your endeavours

Sponsored Links
moved
Ahhhh that makes more sense!

If you post this in the builders section too there's guys in there who can advise you on the correct support you need

Good luck with your endeavours

Is there any chance we can move the post without duplicating it?

Do I need some sort of spreading plate or grout? How do I install it?

when the beam is in place how I will be able to box it out?

We have holes drilled along the middle of the web so that a pair of suitably sized lengths of timber can be fixed into the web each side of the beam. If when fitting the side plasterboard pieces, you allow the plasterboard to hang down say 40mm beyond the beam bottom, you can then fix screws through the hanging down plasterboard into say a length of 3" x 1" which can then be your recipient timber for bottom strip of plasterboard.
Double board the beam for fire resistance.

Your SE should have specified the bearing conditions in his calc's which Building control will inspect.

Very good
Lol, Woody taught me.

The bottom timber will likely be crafted from a ripped piece of 4"x1" sawn, as the beam is 89mm wide. You want it to fit snug between the hanging down bits of plasterboard.

Lol, Woody taught me.

The bottom timber will likely be crafted from a ripped piece of 4"x1" sawn, as the beam is 89mm wide. You want it to fit snug between the hanging down bits of plasterboard.

I can do that, Will cut down with circular saw to the right dim. How do you hang to the beam? self drilling screw?

The bottom flange
As I said in my post - if you allow the side plasterboard to hang down beyond the beam bottom (say 50mm both sides) you can then place your bottom timber up between said board and tight against the bottom of the beam. You can then screw through the plasterboards into the timber - thus securing it in place. The remaining 25mm gap can be filled with two layers of plasterboard fixed to that timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back