How to repair pond pump cable?

Some kind of resin-filled solution? As would be used for HV cables underground

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There seems to be a fair of lily-gilding going on.

Quite honestly, if the joint is not to be buried I think that Robin's suggestion

KBJB002.JPG

is all that's needed.

They're not perfect, there is no perfect solution if the whole cable can't be replaced, but they are adequate provided you ensure the joint doesn't end up lying in a puddle for a long period. If that occurs, the joint will eventually suck in water as the air pressure inside it changes with temperature.
I thought IP68 was suitable for permanent submersion

Paul Uszak also said that he was suspicious that these devices can adequately seal a 7mm diameter cable. That's right at the bottom of the acceptable range. I've had the same issue with those compression glands that you use to go through a boxes' sidewall. They never seem to close down an any type of cable that a normal DIYer might use. I don't want to set my pond on fire...

PS. Why does the pump cable have an earth core? The pump unit is all plastic, looking like double insulation and the pond itself is truly in the earth. It should really need any more earthing should it? Protect the carp?

Does the gel make that choc-bloc maintenance free then?
Why would it need to be MF? It's a joint in a flexible cable.

I didn't say it had to be, I just asked if it was! Actually, even if it was wired in via an RCD FCU rather than a plug, and therefore part of the fixed installation, it doesn't matter as it's an encapsulated joint which therefore doesn't need to be accessible (526.3-ii). I'd forgotten about that.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back