Hydrogen Car Conversion.

Ah! but what if you're one of these idiots that 'don't like the taste of water'? :rolleyes: .... Is Iron Bru ok?

Sponsored Links
The truth is no-one really knows how much oil is left, the people who compile these reports sometimes have their own agenda.

You call that being simplistic?! :eek:

Here's my edition:

1. The battery is used to start the engine.
2. Ergo, the battery needs charging.
3. To claim that it doesn't really need charging is like claiming that humans don't really need to drink water.

What I meant is we RARELY have to physically take the battery out and hook it up to a charger in our home to a household plug.

As when the engine is running it charges it for us, I meant if we put a hydrogen kit in our cars, will this drain a great quantity from our battery to seperate the hydrogen which means the car doesn't charge it fast enough and we have to keep charging it ourselves.

Because people are saying it is going to cost more in seperating the hydrogen than petrol, but I can't see were the money is going to come out of our pockets.

Sponsored Links
Because people are saying it is going to cost more in seperating the hydrogen than petrol, but I can't see were the money is going to come out of our pockets.

The amount of gas, and therefore the amount of energy being produced by a jar with a couple of 12 volt electrodes in it is going be be trivial compared to the amount of energy needed to propel a vehicle. You waste a comparatively tiny bit of energy generating the gas then you get maybe half of that tiny but of energy back when the engine burns it.

Overall on running costs you therefore only lose a fraction of a tiny bit...

You make hydrogen using electricity generated at a coal or gas fired power station (we are not nuclear enough) at around 45% efficiency . .

You then burn the hydrogen in a car to generate a little less than the energy it took to produce (second law of thermodynamics - If you can prove that wrong or find an exception you will be the RICHEST man in the world, and I mean WAY, WAY, WAY beyond the dreams of Bill Gates or any Russian Oligarch).

End to end hydrogen cars are a wasteful and inefficient process, better to burn the fossil fuel in the car at point of use.

Points to consider
- Where do you get the Hydrogen . . . . Is there and outlet near you?
- How much evaporates while the car is parked (it has to be stored way way below freezing
- What do you use to store the hydrogen (rare and dangerous materials) and how are they extracted/made./disposed off (remember Prius batteries)
- Do you really want to ride in a car with a very explosive gas - remember Hindenberg and R100.
- Do you really want to ride in a car with liquid so cold that can KILL if it splashes you
- Do you really want to collide with a car which carries a tank of liquid that is so cold it will kill you if it splashes you (look at the armco they put on the lorries that transport his stuff).

All it gives you is clean emissions at point of use but (like a prius) they are not low carbon vehicles.

Now if we had nuclear electricity generation the position is different but we don't and won't have a significant amount for 15 years.

Hydrogen kit, £30.

Hook it up to your normal petrol/diesel car.

An extra 13 miles or so to the galon and better efficiency.

Where's the loss?

Did anyone watch the video associated with the post?

It seems people think I am either going to tow a big generator that will produce the hydrogen for me, or buy a hydrogen car... I'm just talking about a simple piece of kit that you hook up to your engine.

Hydrogen kit, £30.

Where's the loss?
More to the point, where's the Hyperlink?

Hydrogen kit, £30.

Where's the loss?

It seems people think I am either going to tow a big generator that will produce the hydrogen for me, or buy a hydrogen car... I'm just talking about a simple piece of kit that you hook up to your engine.

It's a scam and the video is a poorly disguised advert.

The loss is £30 before you even start.

The inescapable fact is that the energy required to split water exceeds the energy recouped by burning the gases produced. Even if it were exactly the same with no losses, there would be nothing to gain!

Hydrogen kit, £30.

Where's the loss?

heeelllooo john

what we are saying is it takes more energy out than it gives you back so you extra 14mpg must mean its not converting the hydrogen
otherwise you would be minus perhaps 17mpg as it converts

do you not think every car in the world would be fitted with such a device if they worked!!!!!

Hydrogen kit, £30.

Where's the loss?

heeelllooo john

what we are saying is it takes more energy out than it gives you back so you extra 14mpg must mean its not converting the hydrogen
otherwise you would be minus perhaps 17mpg as it converts

do you not think every car in the world would be fitted with such a device if they worked!!!!!

Yeah I guess you are right, that's all I wanted to know, suppose I shouldn't believe everything I see on Youtube :) Thanks.

What I meant is we RARELY have to physically take the battery out and hook it up to a charger in our home to a household plug.
Oh. I thought you were referring to something that we all do, albeit rarely, whereas it seems that you referring to something that nobody else ever has to do.

As when the engine is running it charges it for us, I meant if we put a hydrogen kit in our cars, will this drain a great quantity from our battery to seperate the hydrogen which means the car doesn't charge it fast enough and we have to keep charging it ourselves.
No. It won't. Unless you think that computer screens are a portal into another universe and that your aunt is trying to murder you, in which case all things are possible.

People are saying, in a nutshell, that the idea of installing equipment, in an ordinary car, that will derive hydrogen from water, so that it can power the car, is a less likely proposition than Dame Barbara Cartland rising from her grave and cooking you a nice fish supper.

Hydrogen kit, £30.

Where's the loss?
More to the point, where's the Hyperlink?
Open your eyes and look on the first post.
Ah, I see. I take it from your sarcasm that you think I wasn't reading properly.

However, my mistake to think that you had found a web site on which you could "buy" the conversion kit for £30, whereas you seem to be referring to the video that you referenced in your first post, which is footage of some scam artists at work.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice video, and the web site at www.ecohho.com is a warm, nostalgic reminder of how gullible people have to be in order to be taken in by such a scam, but if any forum member (other than you) has been fooled by it then I'll happily undertake to coat my genitals with bird seed and lie naked at the Senataph on Sunday morning.

Sponsored Links
Back