I don't understand. EU: "We have a deal".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
From the Council of the European website:

Over the period, the Council found twice, in April 2009 and June 2015, that the UK had not taken effective action in response to its recommendations. But as the UK is not in the eurozone, fines could not be imposed

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...low-3percent-of-gdp-council-closes-procedure/

Whoa boy. That doesn't alter the fact that the EU dictates financial targets, something you've previously denied. You really really should learn to read your own links.

On 5 December 2017, the Council closed the excessive deficit procedure for the United Kingdom, confirming that its government deficit has dropped below the EU’s 3% of GDP reference value.

It abrogated its 2008 decision on the existence of an excessive deficit in the UK.

As a result, only two of the EU's 28 member states remain subject to excessive deficit procedures. This continues an improvement observed since 2010-11 when, during a 12-month period, procedures were open for 24 member states.

The UK has been subject to an excessive deficit procedure since July 2008, when the Council called for its deficit to be corrected by the 2009-10 financial year.

However the 2008 economic downturn, as well as stimulus measures adopted in response to the downturn, led to a substantial deterioration in the UK's budgetary position.

In April 2009, the Council extended the deadline for correcting the deficit by four years, to the 2013‑14 financial year. In December 2009 it extended it by an additional year, to 2014‑15, in the light of unexpected adverse events. The contraction in economic activity in the UK had worsened to 3.3% of GDP, and the projected government deficit for 2009‑10 had been revised upwards to 13% of GDP.

In June 2015, the Council granted the UK a further two years to correct its deficit. It recommended headline deficit targets of 4.1% of GDP in 2015-16 and 2.7% of GDP in 2016-17, consistent with improvements in the structural balance of 0.5% and 1.1% of GDP respectively.

Over the period, the Council found twice, in April 2009 and June 2015, that the UK had not taken effective action in response to its recommendations. But as the UK is not in the eurozone, fines could not be imposed.

The UK has now met the recommended deficit targets. After peaking at 10% of GDP in 2009‑10, its nominal general government deficit has followed a steadily declining trend. The deficit fell to 4% of GDP in 2015‑16 and 2.3% of GDP in 2016‑17, in line with the Council's June 2015 recommendation. Fiscal consolidation has been largely expenditure-based.

In its autumn 2017 economic forecast, the Commission projects deficits of 2.5% of GDP in 2017‑18, 1.8% of GDP in 2018-19 and 1.3% of GDP in 2019-20, on the basis of a no-policy-change assumption. The UK's deficit is therefore set to remain below the 3% of GDP reference value over the forecast horizon.

The autumn 2017 forecast estimates the UK's structural balance to have improved by 3.2% of GDP between 2008‑09 and 2016‑17.

The UK’s general government gross debt ratio has more than doubled since 2008. From 41% of GDP in 2007-08, it increased to 86.8% of GDP in 2016‑17, reflecting higher nominal deficits as well as financial sector interventions during this period. But according to the autumn 2017 forecast, the debt‑to‑GDP ratio is expected to have peaked in 2016‑17 and to decrease to 82.9% in 2019‑20.

The Council concluded that the UK's deficit has been corrected and that its July 2008 decision should therefore be abrogated.

Do you still maintain that the EU have had no input re the UK's finances, or the austerity programme, or the fact that the above mentioned targets we've broken are laid out in the Maastricht Treaty?, the same Maastricht Treaty which came into existence nearly ten years before the Euro was introduced.
The fact the EU has, in a later treaty, decided to impose fines on eurozone countries (perfectly sensible given that one country's profligacy can effect other countries when they have a common currency) is neither here nor there and irrelevant to our original debate.
Sorry mate, you really need to up your game, you've lost this argument.

Sorry mate, you really need to up your game, you've lost this argument

Poor old fillyboy you are really really trying to dig yourself out of the mahoosive hole you got youself in :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There is key word repeated often in that article: 'recommendation'.

Now go away and find some proof that the UK fiscal policy was influenced by the excessive debt procedure.

As things stand you are just spouting hot air from down in your mahoosive hole

Last edited:
Poor old fillyboy you are really really trying to dig yourself out of the mahoosive hole you got youself in :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There is key word repeated often in that article: 'recommendation'.

Now go away and find some proof that the UK fiscal policy was influenced by the excessive debt procedure.

As things stand you are just spouting hot air from doen in your mahoosive hole

No point, even when they put forward evidence that refutes their own point they just dig in. Its Jedi mind control on themselves.

Sponsored Links
No point, even when they put forward evidence that refutes their own point they just dig in. Its Jedi mind control on themselves.

I've previously posted chapter and verse of the Maastricht Treaty confirming exactly what I said, and Notch's link above also confirms exactly what I have previously asserted.
Suck it up boys.

When we do eventually leave the EU, and we will, I suspect in eleven days time. I have no doubt whatsoever the effect on Galahad and Notch will be minimal because they will simply follow the line of "no, we haven't left, we're still in, peoples vote, vast majority, lies, traitors, still in, it's not true" whilst wandering round like zombies in a low budget film.

071713_bitovi_zombies1.large.jpg

Still in, still in, article 50 revoked, dribble dribble.

I've previously posted chapter and verse of the Maastricht Treaty confirming exactly what I said, and Notch's link above also confirms exactly what I have previously asserted.
Suck it up boys.

When we do eventually leave the EU, and we will, I suspect in eleven days time. I have no doubt whatsoever the effect on Galahad and Notch will be minimal because they will simply follow the line of "no, we haven't left, we're still in, peoples vote, vast majority, lies, traitors, still in, it's not true" whilst wandering round like zombies in a low budget film.

071713_bitovi_zombies1.large.jpg

Still in, still in, article 50 revoked, dribble dribble.

You argued against your own point. You still cant see that. No help for a mad barking dog.

Brexiteers and wannabe economists all think having some target on GDP debt ratios is a straight jacket / financial impediment.

Ok the alternative is countries run up crazy amounts of debt and cause them to default on payments and crash the economy. Who benefits from lowered Demand and economic crisis?

Why do we have intranational agreements? Sod the WTO thats too restrictive.

Quitters have no clue.

:rolleyes:

Blimey jedi mind control

He may have a point :eek:

speaking of which

there was a case a while back of some USA embassy where all the staff complained of head aches or some other ailments ? cannot remember which country the embassy was in ?? China ? was it ?

but some said it was caused by some type electronic gizmo bombarding the embassy with radio waves ? or some such caper

perhaps Sir Gallahad has a point ?

You argued against your own point. You still cant see that. No help for a mad barking dog.
Brexiteers and wannabe economists all think having some target on GDP debt ratios is a straight jacket / financial impediment.

Ok the alternative is countries run up crazy amounts of debt and cause them to default on payments and crash the economy. Who benefits from lowered Demand and economic crisis?

Why do we have intranational agreements? Sod the WTO thats too restrictive.

Quitters have no clue.

"The UK has been subject to an excessive deficit procedure since July 2008, when the Council called for its deficit to be corrected by the 2009-10 financial year."

The UK has been subject to an excessive deficit procedure since July 2008, when the Council called for its deficit to be corrected by the 2009-10 financial year.

So

It was only a recommendation.

Have you found any proof of this yet:
That the UK fiscal policy was influenced by the excessive debt procedure

No?
Oh dear Oh dear :D

"The UK has been subject to an excessive deficit procedure since July 2008, when the Council called for its deficit to be corrected by the 2009-10 financial year."

Do you even understand what your posting?

Please show me in NAO report where the effect of that is?

Who ran up debt in last 10 years?

Clueless.

So

No?

Hes clueless. He argues with facts that obliterate his own points.

I must admit I have noted that my cat seems to be detecting some type of sound in my place :eek: a cat can pick up high frequency sounds beyond a humans hearing range ;)

could be some thing going on :idea:

There is a van parked just up the road that is not normally there :idea: think I may need to investigate it further ?

Strange as it seems but I recall the same van or similar parked there 3 half years ago , around about the time of the referendum vote :confused:

coincidence ? or some thing dodgy going on ? ref mind controling radio waves ?

any one else noted any of the above ? around there place ?

So

No?

I've finally managed to force you to acknowledge that there is something known as an 'excessive debt procedure' as laid out in the Maastricht Treaty, something you've been denying for the last month.

Quite an achievement, well done me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back