I got loads of stuff...now what?

Can you check the router status pages. It should show the status of the Vonage connection.

I'm wondering if you have signal problems. You may need to contact your isp.

Sponsored Links
to clarify (at least try to)
this is the way I have(had) it hooked up:

cable from wall.... to cable modem.
one end of ethernet cable (cable modem) to the old vonage router.
one end of blue ethernet cable from internet port of wrtp54g to one of the ethernet ports on the old vonage router.
the phone cord went to the port 1 of the wrtp54g
no cords to the apple (wireless)

Why have you put the vonage router back?

You have simply created the same setup as when you had the Belkin.

The cable modem connects to the Linksys. Nothing else should be connected. Switch the modem off for 30 minutes and then back on. Wait 10 minutes for it to stabilise. If the Internet light is not lit, you either have to clone the cable modem router MAC address onto the Linksys, using a utility in the Linksys, or you may need to contact your ISP to authorise the new router.

You may also need to renew your Mac ipaddress if you have set it statically.

Your current setup is doomed to failure.

I only went back to the Belkin...temporarily...to get some much needed 'voice' encouragement...or harassment depending on how you look at it. ;)

I had the old router hooked up.... per the instructions....waiting for a dial tone...I guess so that the old data could transfer to the new "box"....then I was instructed to go the vonage.com to enter the new mac address of the device I bought....my problem at that point was that "existing router" did not have the same meaning to me...so I didnt get that part...so I think that's where it failed.
I havent given up....it cant be this hard....I will start fresh in the morning.

if I slip a tenner...they might loosen the sleeves on that thing :LOL:

Sponsored Links
mlb3c said:
I only went back to the Belkin...temporarily...to get some much needed 'voice' encouragement...or harassment depending on how you look at it. ;)

I had the old router hooked up.... per the instructions....waiting for a dial tone...I guess so that the old data could transfer to the new "box"....then I was instructed to go the vonage.com to enter the new mac address of the device I bought....my problem at that point was that "existing router" did not have the same meaning to me...so I didnt get that part...so I think that's where it failed.
I havent given up....it cant be this hard....I will start fresh in the morning.

if I slip a tenner...they might loosen the sleeves on that thing :LOL:

Get the Internet working first and then worry about the Vonage bit after. Connect it as I mentioned previously, modem & Linksys only.

okay....this is something I dont understand....(of so many things)

the only way that I can be connected....like right this minute....to the internet (uh duh) is to use the WRT54G...which is supposed to be redundant...or so I thought..(or did I misread?)...I cant go back to the Belkin even. ....the obvious difference between this device and the Belkin is that it has an access point built in....is this why? I cannot use the old vonage router (it doesnt recognize it)...so I think I'm going in the right direction...just sort of meandering off the straight path so to speak. I know now what a difference it makes in operating systems...I'm on my own trying to decipher how to set up the Mac going by windows instructions. Any ideas at all......ANYthing?....

but I AM connected to the internet.

The WRT54G and the WRTP54G are basically the same thing. They are both wireless broadband routers, hence you only need one or the other.

The only difference (apart from the appearance) is that the WRTP54G has phone (VOIP) capability built in, hence the P in the model name.

If you can get Internet access with one, I can see no reason why you can't with the other. Forget the phone bit for now, just try and get Internet (web browsing) access with the WRTP54G and the cable modem.

You will need to switch the cable modem off for about 30 minutes. Then switch on the modem and then the router and wait for 10 minutes for things to settle down. You should then be connected. See if you can access DIYN and post back.

If we're still at this on April 1, it doesn't count, ok? :LOL: ;)

before I go....this is something that bugs me a little....
I understand what you said about the difference in the two routers....I get that
here's my thought tho....in the set up instructions....when it says to disconnect or for that matter connect to the computer...since I have nothing to connect to the computer (because of no ethernet port)....I took it to mean the wireless router(not the voip one). Based on this scenario...how do you get around that?

http://www.vonage.com/help.php?article=900&category=88&nav=3

I have decided to go with instructions B....because the old router is history.

is this the correct one?

dont even go there (april 1st)....my eye is starting to twitch at this typing

;)

just a note here:when reading the box about min requirements (this is the voip WRTP)....it says ethernet or wireless adapter....since I dont have an ethernet port on the Mac....isnt this why I am dependent on the wireless router..(the other one, not the voip)??
If this is the case...would I be better off...with just the plain WRT54G and purchasing a vonage adapter (not router)? Am awaiting your instructions before I do ANYthing.....
:confused:

Yes, B is good.

Turn off modem. Wait 30 mins.

Connect modem to WRTP54G. See blue cable in diagram.

Ignore yellow cable instructions.

Ignore green cable instructions for now.

So, all you should have is cable modem connected to WRTP54G.

Turn on modem.
Turn on router.

Wait 10 minutes.

Tell me if your Mac connects to the router and that you can access the router web pages.

Tell me if you can connect to the Internet.

ok....
I am now connected to the internet (YEA!!!)
I only have the cable modem and the voip router connected....nothing else.

Since I misread my initial instructions regarding the old vonage router....I dont think Vonage is 'recognizing' the new device even though I typed in the new mac address....I am getting ready to call Vonage to see how I can rectify this issue.....and I am doing this because I cannot get a dial tone....in case you were going to ask.

:D

OK, since the voip router connects to the internet there can't be much wrong now, it says here at step 13 about activating your modem and wait 30mins before you get a dial tone.

thanks Sparkle123 and....Igorian....for all your help....and everyone else who contributed...I couldnt have done it without you.

I just got off the phone (cell phone) with Vonage....I was correct...they did not have the correct mac address...that's why I didnt(dont) have a dial tone.
I am to wait an hour...so that it can ...I dunno...'do its thing' :LOL: :LOL: .......
and then it should work. I will let you know when it is 'thumbs up'

thanks again!!!!

kevplumb said:
can i just say thanks for your patience and help on this one fellas ;)
Did you notice that I'm being 'specially helpful by keeping me mouf firmly shut?!

Sponsored Links
Back