I got loads of stuff...now what?

roll your eyes if you want. I am finding out (the hard way) that...while I am setting this thing up....I can not speak on the phone or be connected until I have the settings correct. What I did....if I am on the wrong track, let me know...is I wrote down the settings I have with the belkin...the only thing that would be different is the mac address...is this correct? I have to have the linksys router on in order to make the changes on line.....if this is correct....then I can type in what I wrote down.

I: First, I will say that it's best to configure the router using a cable, but I think you said that your ethernet port is bust.

B: the ethernet port on the apple does not work

I: Hopefully, the wireless is enabled on the Linksys by default.

B: appears to be....since it is wireless??? not being cheeky...I'm just assuming

I: Do you have a utility on the Mac for setting up wireless devices, or does the Linksys come with a disk with Mac software on it?

B: I do have a utility on the Mac for setting it up...but I need to do this manually (where Im going to have a prob) because the disc does not give instructions for a Mac...only for windows.

would it help if I sent you the link for this device?...it has a pdf manual that is the same as mine

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
Can you connect to the router over wifi, can you search for the wireless network and connect to it?
Where you type //www.diynot.com in your internet browser, try typing http://192.168.15.1
Does this give you access to the device or username/password screen? If so, type admin in both fields, does this work?
http://www.vonage.com/help.php?article=886&category=88&nav=3[/QUOTE]

yes. that does work. but after I get there, then what? I see the default settings....but what

my plan B is this.......ditch the vonage wireless....

hookup the Linsys WRT54G directly to the cable modem
and buy a vonage (voip) phone adapter. will this work?

There is usually no configuration required for cable devices, although You may have to clone the MAC address of the modem onto your router. Your ISP should be able to advise. The fact that you can connect to the router wirelessly means that most of the work is done.

Does Vonage supply your Internet? If not who is your ISP?

Sponsored Links
What sort of Cable modem do you have, the existing, working one? How does it connect, USB/ethernet? If ethernet, do you have the IP address (192.168.100.1)? to access the modem setup?

Spark123 said:
What sort of Cable modem do you have, the existing, working one? How does it connect, USB/ethernet?

Come on Sparky, keep up. ;)

:LOL: I was, SP something or other. Does it matter that the modem address is 192.168.100.* and the routers is 192.168.15.* if I am correct on the modems address?
What sort of modem is the existing one anyway? If I google U10C018 it comes up with an Ambit which is both ethernet and usb? Is this the same as an ambit. Sorry to be a bit slow on this, cable hasn't reached this part of the country yet, bet they sell loads of cable modems in the local PC world, they had a full shelf of them the other day!

Spark123 said:
:LOL: I was, SP something or other. Does it matter that the modem address is 192.168.100.* and the routers is 192.168.15.* if I am correct on the modems address?
What sort of modem is the existing one anyway? If I google U10C018 it comes up with an Ambit which is both ethernet and usb? Is this the same as an ambit. Sorry to be a bit slow on this, cable hasn't reached this part of the country yet, bet they sell loads of cable modems in the local PC world, they had a full shelf of them the other day!

The modem won't get a private address, it simply acts as a medium between the PC and the phone system. Without the router, the modem assigns the public ipaddress to the PC. With the router connected, the WAN side will be assigned the public ipaddress and the LAN side will have a static ipaddress.

The problem is often getting the new router to authenticate. Sometimes you need to perform a reactivation procedure using the disk or simply clone the MAC address of the modem onto the router, so that it becomes transparent.

Igorian said:
The modem won't get a private address, it simply acts as a medium between the PC and the phone system. Without the router, the modem assigns the public ipaddress to the PC. With the router connected, the WAN side will be assigned the public ipaddress and the LAN side will have a static ipaddress.

The problem is often getting the new router to authenticate. Sometimes you need to perform a reactivation procedure using the disk or simply clone the MAC address of the modem onto the router, so that it becomes transparent.

I see, for some daft reason I thought the WAN side of the modem would have a static local IP address. :oops:

i'm back to square one.
i came close....but no joy.

i found a site that had a 'quick installation' depending on my hardware. the first thing i did wrong...which was a biggie....was misreading/misunderstanding that when it speaks of existing router/modem, it meant my old vonage router...NOT my cable modem....
i managed to get it connected....meaning it showed it had connection to wireless, internet...just couldnt get the phone to have a dial tone.

not sure what to do now :confused:

I'm lost.

Can you access the Internet with your new kit? (ie. existing cable modem connected to linksys)

Who provides your Internet? Is it through Vonage or another supplier?

Igorian said:
I'm lost.

Can you access the Internet with your new kit? (ie. existing cable modem connected to linksys)

Who provides your Internet? Is it through Vonage or another supplier?

that was vague...sorry
I think Im on the right track....I had the new kit connected....and had it connected....see this ...it's A http://www.vonage.com/help.php?article=900&category=88&nav=3but it comes down to either internet (computer) or phone (dial tone) but not both at the same time. And my isp is Charter Communications...Vonage is an extra service because some of its features are not included with Charter's phone service
oh!!! I didnt really answer your first question, did I?....I was connected to the internet with the WRTP54G....but after I buggered it up my misreading, it got to the point where I couldnt connect or use the phone...so in despair..I reverted back to Belkin. I havent given up....just not sure how to proceed. :confused:

So let me get this correct, you have your SP modem plugged into the cable, from the ethernet port on this it plugs into the vonage linksys WRTP54G. You can connect to the internet using your mac laptop using wifi. The telephone port 1 light illuminates on your linksys WRTP54G? You can use vonage or the internet, but not both at the same time?

Sponsored Links
Back