I got questions... Dormer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at doing a PD on my house, which includes

1 - Hip to Gable end converion.
2- 2 Dormers on the back of the property.

Does anyone know how to caclulate the approx roof volume?
I have the size of the house, (external walls) No real measurements of the roof.

I want two sperate dormers joint together, with the internal height of the dormers being as high as they can be, but without going past the ridge height.

Question I have is can this be done?

My arctitect has agreed one thing and produced soemthing else!

Sponsored Links
There is a rudimentary one on the Planning Portal but http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/planning/usefultools/volume Easier to work out than try and explain tbh.

Prey tell what did you want and what has he done? Has your architect not worked out the volumes?

I wasnt at home when he came, he measure all of the hous eand the wife said he didnt go into the loft.

He seems to think (without measuring) that my conversion will exceed 50m2.

according to that website my total volume is around 420CM

after futher discussions, he says that he wouldnt advise a low pitched roof as water run off maybe too slow and could cause issues with damp :confused:

Sponsored Links
You're seriously saying this guy is doing the drawings for a loft conversion and didn't go up in the loft? Do flat roof's leak then?

I'd sack him and find someone else!

You're seriously saying this guy is doing the drawings for a loft conversion and didn't go up in the loft? Do flat roof's leak then?

I'd sack him and find someone else!

Only if you were closer :(

He came recommended.

Is my volume calculation right?

I wasn't pushin for the job, how would I know if your volume calc was right if you've not provided all the information? :confused:

Seriously sack this bloke and employ an architectural technician, an architect is overkill on a lofty anyway.

Didn't even go up in the loft? I'm gobsmacked!

I wasn't pushin for the job, how would I know if your volume calc was right if you've not provided all the information? :confused:

Seriously sack this bloke and employ an architectural technician, an architect is overkill on a lofty anyway.

Didn't even go up in the loft? I'm gobsmacked!

Hes a town planner as well.

Lenght 7.4 Meters
Width 9.8 Meters
Height from ground floor to ceiling is 6 Meter
and then from joists to ridge is 2.5 Meters.

just been out and got some better mesaure ments

This is the front to back dimension? Length 7.4 Meters

This is the side to side dimension? Width 9.8 Meters

So the 2.5m dimension is that down the roof slope or a vertical dimension? What is the vertical height from the top of the ceiling joists inside the loft up to the underside of the ridge. If its only 2.5m on the slope then a lofty may be impractical anyway.

When you say 2 dormers joined together then that would surely be just 1 dormer?

This house is detached?

Of all the dormer and hip to gable extensions I've done only a couple went over 50m³ - and they were bigger houses than yours. Just a top of head calc on your dimensions your hip is going to be about 20m³ max and your dormers would need to be huge to be over 30m³. So I agree with Freddy. Get somebody in that can measure.

So the 2.5m dimension is that down the roof slope or a vertical dimension? What is the vertical height from the top of the ceiling joists inside the loft up to the underside of the ridge. If its only 2.5m on the slope then a lofty may be impractical anyway.

This house is detached?

Its an approx measurement
I measured it to my height.
its probably alot higher,

These joists
http://ibrar.co.uk/3d/attic/img_4722.jpg

are at 6ft, so based on that I would say around 1 meter from the bottom of the joist.

This house is detached?

Its an approx measurement
I measured it to my height.
its probably alot higher,

These joists
http://ibrar.co.uk/3d/attic/img_4722.jpg

are at 6ft, so based on that I would say around 1 meter from the bottom of the joist.
Nah lost me there! :confused:

Cancel my estimate. That roof is a lot higher than 2.5m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back