I got questions... Dormer.

How do I measure the pitch of the roof?
You don't need to measure the pitch of the roof. It's simple to work it out once the height of the roof and the front to back dimension is known.
Hips are almost always the same angle in both directions.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to measure the pitch of the roof. It's simple to work it out once the height of the roof and the front to back dimension is known.
Yes but when that angle is drawn on the hip the elevation doesn't seem to match the photo hence my doubt.

ibby, the only way to really know what you can or can't build is to get the roof properly measured and transferred to decent drawings. I think your earlier dimensions are hopeful to say the least. For example you give the height of the dormer as 2.1m - well it isn't going to be. That's barely enough on internal dimensions if the roof was flat. By the time you add roof structure and slope you are looking at significantly more. You need to find somebody who can measure and draw it up for you. Look for a good local chartered building surveyor with relevant experience - or maybe a technician as long as they have PI insurance.

ibby, the only way to really know what you can or can't build is to get the roof properly measured and transferred to decent drawings. I think your earlier dimensions are hopeful to say the least. For example you give the height of the dormer as 2.1m - well it isn't going to be. That's barely enough on internal dimensions if the roof was flat. By the time you add roof structure and slope you are looking at significantly more. You need to find somebody who can measure and draw it up for you. Look for a good local chartered building surveyor with relevant experience - or maybe a technician as long as they have PI insurance.

I was calculating he 2.1 dormer as the internal roof area.
do they look at they external size?

Sponsored Links
Yes but when that angle is drawn on the hip the elevation doesn't seem to match the photo hence my doubt.

I will remeasure when i get home.
External of the building.

I have measured my house again :mrgreen:

7600 Lenght
9400 Width.

3500 Hip wall to middle wall.

I think I have measured it right. :)

I am the tallest at 6ft 2 in the house, the rest are 5ft 8/ 5ft 6.

I want the top of the roof to be like this

I have measured my house again :mrgreen:

7600 Lenght
9400 Width.

I think I have measured it right. :)

Is that outside of walls or edge of roof?

Eh?
Is the pitch of the hip the same as the front and rear roof? We assume so, as RR mentioned it would be unusual if they were different.

Yes its the same size.

[/img]

This is what I meant.
Erm...maybe I'm missing something reaaaaaalllllly obvious here, but I would have expected your 3.5m measurement to be more like 4.7m, due to the fact that front to back, your house is 9.4m. 9.4/2 = 4.7...
And as we have said, the hip side usually pitches at the same angle as the front and back of the house...
Are you sure your ridge is 4.1m?

Eh?
Is the pitch of the hip the same as the front and rear roof? We assume so, as RR mentioned it would be unusual if they were different.

Yes its the same size.

[/img]

This is what I meant.
Erm...maybe I'm missing something reaaaaaalllllly obvious here, but I would have expected your 3.5m measurement to be more like 4.7m, due to the fact that front to back, your house is 9.4m. 9.4/2 = 4.7...
And as we have said, the hip side usually pitches at the same angle as the front and back of the house...
Are you sure your ridge is 4.1m?

Hi

maybe this will help you understand alittle better.

Right, so your roof pitches front and back at around 36 ° , but from the side at 45 °

Ok, I reckon once you have put a gable on the end you will have added around 28 square metres. So if you drop your dormer roof around 0.7m from the ridge, you'll be able to make it about 6.4m long and stay within your 50m ² .

Very approximate of course...

Right, so your roof pitches front and back at around 36 ° , but from the side at 45 °

Ok, I reckon once you have put a gable on the end you will have added around 28 square metres. So if you drop your dormer roof around 0.7m from the ridge, you'll be able to make it about 6.4m long and stay within your 50m ² .

Very approximate of course...

Hi,
Did you use software to calculate how much space I will have?
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back