I was right...

Sponsored Links
At the very least they should pay road tax
Don't give me that utter bullcrap. As a cyclist, I have met people with your viewpoint on the road and, while I am not saying that you would do this, their reaction to my presence was to try and run me off it, because they felt they had more right to be on the road than me.
Road Tax was abolished in 1937.
If you mean Vehicle Excise Duty (which, incidentally, goes into a big pot of tax that is used for many things), that is based on exhaust emissions, which cyclists don't produce.

Sponsored Links
Don't give me that utter bullcrap. As a cyclist, I have met people with your viewpoint on the road and, while I am not saying that you would do this, their reaction to my presence was to try and run me off it, because they felt they had more right to be on the road than me.
Road Tax was abolished in 1937.
If you mean Vehicle Excise Duty (which, incidentally, goes into a big pot of tax that is used for many things), that is based on exhaust emissions, which cyclists don't produce.
I sometimes produce some emissions on a ride

Well, I thought of that when I wrote it....but they'll tax cows for farting before humans, so I think we're safe on that score.

I pay road tax on two vehicles but only drive one of them. I guess I have as much say as anybody.
I pay road tax on two vehicles. but only drive one of them (at a time, and sometimes neither).
I guess I have twice as much say as those that only pay road tax on one vehicle.

My "road tax" bill isn't too far off a grand a year. I also think fat smokers cost the public a lot more than a MAMIL trying to get fit. But back on topic..
helmets really are a complex thing both in terms of motorcycle helmets and cycle helmets. The case for cycle helmets is actually stronger than the case for motorcycle helmets based on the common accident scenarios. There is a lot of research on this and its not clear cut at all.

1. One of the most common accidents for both motorcyclists and cyclists, is the "sorry mate I didn't see you" junction/side road/drive way -> car pulls out in to the path of the cyclist/motorcyclist and they find themselves coming to an abrupt halt due to the impressively strong side impact protection of modern cars. Here the weight of your helmet will be working against the benefit it provides from impact. In other words the head injury saved will be countered by the broken neck.

2. The second issue is that all open face helmets are extremely limited, as the chin bar's primary purpose is to stop the helmet rolling off your head, as well as reducing damage to your face. Very few cycle helmets counter this by having base of skull protection. MTB helmets often do.

3. Cycle helmets start to fail with impact speeds above 20mph

But the reason I always ride with a helmet, is that your claim will likely be reduced by at least 20% if you don't. They also really aren't that inconvenient, keep your head warm and sometimes dry. I also usually weare glasses and gloves.

What they need to do is make a complete Michelin man suit for cyclists that still allows them to cycle.
Then they would be far safer. :)

Or, like in the Netehrlands, completely seperate cycle paths. Just knock a row of shops, houses down and make room for them. :)

Sponsored Links
Back