IDEAL ICOS HE18 - not responding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Honeywell room thermostat is wall mounted and wireless and on occasion if I wish to over-ride or boost the central heating outside of the normal settings the signal doesn't always seem to be picked up by the boiler. Is the 'receiver' within the boiler? Neither I nor my plumber or electrician can find it in the airing cupboard or near the boiler. Would it be called a receiver or does it have another name which I would find in the User's Manual or Service Manual? I have replaced the batteries but it has not solved the problem. Any suggestions would be most useful. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely but not inconceivable that it's inside the boiler, although it's not part of the boiler and shouldn't really be in there if it is.

It could equally be a problem with the boiler - the Icos is among the least reliable boilers ever made

Follow any wires that come out of the boiler. One wire should lead to the boiler's power source, something like a fused spur or sometimes a 13 amp plug. Any other wires from boiler will lead to the receiver if it's external. Can't imagine the receiver being inside boiler, as the metal case will interfere with the signal. But maybe if you do find it inside, it may explain your troubles.

If you can provide a model number for the thermostat we should be able to find some pictures to show what the hidden receiver looks like.

Sponsored Links
IMG_20151109_093958_kindlephoto-84178710.jpg
IMG_20151109_093958_kindlephoto-84178710.jpg I made a mistake: the thermostat is a Drayton. See photo attached, tho not very clear. Can't see a model number.

It's unlikely but not inconceivable that it's inside the boiler, although it's not part of the boiler and shouldn't really be in there if it is.

It could equally be a problem with the boiler - the Icos is among the least reliable boilers ever made

Muggles, there must be millions of this boiler type fitted. So faults reported is a big number too. I was getting regular calls to effect repairs but was turning work away as I too believed this boiler to be what you say it is. Then decided to train up in Hull for Isar Icos. Have to say training was excellent and have since realised this model is no longer a dog with bad name. Then you also have quick technical (no 084~ Number either) Responce equalling WB technical desk

Recently recovered an Icos totally drenched from plumbing fitting, Isar spewing water from hydro block, another kept shutting down as condensate run incorrect. Am looking at an Ariston Optimax that was put in in place of an Isar. Now Optimax is truly a boiler no person deserves- believe fitted by some plumbers who take money and run

OP, I do not think yours is a wireless thermostat
Suggest you get someone who knows what he is doing, to look at the system. Why are these two clowns looking for a receiver when all that is needed is look at the wiring centre terminals 4 and 5 ( if said centre is even connected as it should be)

Sequence of operation for S or Y plan should be, for central heating, programmer calls, thermostat decides, if yes, motorised valve opens and auxillary switch fires boiler

If hot water is working correctly, I would be looking at the controls to see where the demand is missing

Thanks, DP. If I were to switch my electric supply off at the fuse box I would then know whether it is wireless or not. I'll try it.

I can't see clearly but it looks like the low battery symbol is on, on the thermostat. 2xAA cells go in the bottom of the stat if it's the wired version. I'm not sure about the wireless version. The digistat+'s aren't too reliable though. Switching the fusebox off will tell you nothing as all digistat+'s are battery powered.

I'll replace the batteries. I did mention in my original post that this is an irregular problem. I.e. it worked yesterday when I switched it to override, today ....... - who knows.(n)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back