Ideal Icos M3080 dismantling / opening instructions

Most RGI's try and stop this advise and the same 2 posters come up time and time again. The Mods trust us to report it.... which we do - frequently, and yet the gas advise continues. I have yet to see a 'yellow card' to both of these posters, let alone a ban threatened. The Mods are MODERTORS, whereas we are here giving advice and connot be responsible for idiotic advise. :!:

Flooze.

the mods are often ill informed and merely make judgements on what they think is acceptable and often not what actually is acceptable.

90% of the posts on this section of the forum should be deleted if you are going to follow through completely with your holier than thou attitude to boiler repair. where does that leave us?

perhaps you have yet to see a "yellow card" to me as i speak some sense. my views and advice have not changed in all the years i have been here but yet i have had very few posts removed or deleted. why is that?

even if i was banned its hardly the end of the world. you know i would be back under a new name with absolutely no change, so whats the point?

Sponsored Links
thanks Garfield
i always put the customer first as i have in this instant. love a company or loath them if they can do the job in a more cost effective/less time consuming way then i will say use them. customers really on honesty and will stay loyal if you take care not to fleece them.
unfortunately some on here can only resort to insulting people as they aren't capable of seeing the wood for the trees!!

Yes,well done Kev,i do the same, i dont care how many parts i use,or how long im there,the customer pays the £200 odd whatever it is,and as far as im concerned,ill build a new boiler out of parts so they get going again,and let the company smart over it later.The customer has paid,im there to sort it,and thats what happens.
To be fair,ive never been pulled up by Warmsure for how many parts ive used,or how long ive spent at a job,but that could change now Eaga are in ownership.

OK, so the engineer has been - he was here for all of 30 minutes. It was quite a surreal experience actually. I'm not sure if he had psychic powers, after he removed the boiler covers (without first conducting the flue gas test as specified in the servicing procedure),he deduced by looking at the colour of the outside of the heat exchanger, that the system had not been commissioned properly no inhibitor in the system, and the exchanger was damaged. I was able to show him the initial installation report card showing obviously that inhibitor had been added (Copal). With any subsequent drains of the system I've done, inhibitor has been added as per manufactures instructions.

So my first question is - is it possible just from looking at the outside colour of the heat exchanger to determine its condition?

He commented on how clean the system was.

He said that the heat exchanger needed replacing, there was evidence of a weep in the lower left corner - I took a photo of this and I've attached it to my on-line album. I'd appreciate comments on this. There was certainly no evidence of great pools of water having seeped out, in fact the mark doesn't extend any further than shown.

He pretty much straight away undid and removed the ignition electrode - and replaced it with a new one. He said that would be the cause of any banging in the cycle. I reported this and the what is now only a slight whirring as the only issues with the system.

He said that the unit had not had the top burner cover bolts replaced - which should/would have been done as a safety recall, during routine servicing. he wouldn't touch the top half because of this and because he said the whole lot would be stripped down with the heat exchanger replacement.

He did briefly remove the sump cover, but didn't attempt to clean any debris out.

The S trap was then removed and flushed - he commented again on how clean this was considering the age of the boiler. By this time I'd 'fessed up on the boilers service history.

The sealing panels went back on and a Flue Gas test was done - I've attached a photo of the printout in my album, he said the efficiency was excellent, rarely coming out the factory so good - 98.9%. A gas pressure test was done - he said I dread this bit as if it wasn't up to spec the boiler can't be re-lit. It was well above the minimum 19, 25 I think it read.

The front cover was put back on after he soap tested the gas test point.

Boiler fired up.

I suggested that I'd now try for a fixed price repair, he was non committal not really offering any advise.

I said well what happens now? Again nothing really.

Earlier on he had said well I don't do domestics - apparently he normally did contract commercial work -I suppose he'd been asked to cover the job as I'd asked so nicely if it could be done during the week.

So that's it - any feed back / advise gratefully received.

Regards

25mlb i hope not!! heat exchangers on this blr are crap, like i said.

ring warmsure up for a one off repair £230-00 but do not tell them its a faulty heat ex, because they will tell you to f%$k off.

let them come out, then they carn't say nothing..

up there for thinking down there for danceing springs to mind.. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So who came to look at the boiler? i thought you were getting Ideal out to it.

did you waste your money an pay 80 quid for a service?

when you should of paid 230-00 for a repair... those heat engines are around £400 just for the parts

Well if you rang up for a fixed price repair he should have booked it in to have the heat exchanger replaced,they should let you know in due course when they are coming to do it.

Well it's looking that way (it was actually £69) but you are right they will no doubt know from this guys report that there is a problem with the heat exchanger, so not accept the fixed cost repair option. I'm not sure I got clear advise on the best cause of action. My earlier post pointed to the "service" page on Warmsure. And people said get it "serviced properly" so that what I requested a service. If I'd been told don't go for a "service" definitely go for a "fixed price repair", that's what I would have done.

Gentlemen, this is a public forum where members of the public can view disagreements between RGI's. If you are qualified Nickso, then perhaps you should join the CC and air your grievances there.
If you are not qualified, then, as in one of your latests posts, you informed the OP that it was safe for him to change a Suprima PCB which involves combustion chamber work and retort to 'slagging' off other RGI's who disagreed, may I respectfully suggest you learn to be gracious to suitably qualified engineers.

ya can actually change the pcb on a suprima without combustion chamber work, you only have to replace the harness wen fitting the modification kit

was inside the combustion box wet?
imo he hasn't done a proper service if he ant removed the burner and checked/replaced the insulation supports :confused:

Exactly gas_man_gas, unfortunately this is a prime example where I think I've been let down by the engineer. I really don't think I can trust him at all! Regardless of whether all the work might need to be done again if the exchanger needs replacing - I paid for a service, which should at least include the strip down and clean of the top burner area, checking of the flame detection electrode, checking the combustion chamber insulation and a clean out of the sump, none of which were done.

Ring warmsure up and advise them then. better still ring them and say the blr hasn't worked since your engineer attended.. then they will send a repair engineer out.

What I really would appreciate is some comments on the photo I've posted of the heat exchanger, and comments on whether it really is possible from the very superficial outside surface look the engineer made to determine there was a problem with the heat exchanger and it would need replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back